Chapter 3

(Back To You)

Chapter 3: Second Chance at first line━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Scott and Stiles arrive to the lacrosse field just as Coach Finstock has begun announcing their first task.

"Let's go! One-on-one from up top!" he exclaims before turning to look at Jackson who is running onto the field "Jackson, take a long stick today" the teenager nods and drops the stick he was holding in favour of the longer one that coach instructed him to take before running back onto the field "Atta boy!"

Jackson takes his place on the field and when coach blows his whistle he scoops up a ball and the team starts the play. The players run around the field, passing the ball to each other and shoulder-checking their opponents as they try to score a goal, with coach watching with a focused expression as he follows their movements from the sidelines

"That's how you do it Jackson! That's how you do it!" coach encourages, Jackson hits one of the players in the back with the blunt end of his stick so he can steal the ball. Coach shoots an annoyed look at one of the other players #31 "Greenberg, take a lap!" said boy sets off to run around the field as coach turns his attention to the lined-up players ready to start their round of one-on-ones. Scott is at the front of the lines and gets prepared to start "Let's go! Faster Greenberg! Let's go" Scott looks distracted, is brought back to reality when coach shouts at him "McCall, what the hell are you waiting for? Let's go!" Coach points at Jackson who is waiting for him with his long stick in hand ready to show him up. However when Scott clenches his jaw and runs towards him, he's easily tackled by the larger young man and is tossed flat on his back onto the grassy field.

Coach wastes no time in starting to mock him as Scott grimaces in both pain and in embarrassment "Hey McCall" Over at the line, Stiles winces sympathetically at Scott's bad play, especially once he sees coach walking over to where Scott is still laying on the ground "hey McCall"

Scott lifts his head to see Jackson smirking above him looking very satisfied by his successful tackle "You sure you still want to be first line McCall?" he asks before walking away just as coach reaches Scott who quickly jumps to his feet, fixing his gloves and pads

"My-my grandmother can move faster than that-and she's dead! You think you can move faster than the lifeless corpse of my dead grandmother?" coach mocks

Some people around the room laugh at the teacher's comments, finding it funny as others shake their heads.

Scott's anger and frustration have him doubled over which begins to worry Stiles, who continues to watch from mid-field, McCall clenches his jaw and responds to him in a tight voice "Yes, coach"

Coach still trying to goad Scott into a more competitive mindset, continues to mock him "I can't hear you!"

Fortunately for the new werewolf he is not looking coach in the eyes because his irises flash gold as Scott grits his teeth and repeats himself in an irritated tone of voice "Yes coach"
Coach also irritated moves so his mouth is just inches from Scott's right ear as he mutters his orders "Then do it again!"