T H I R T Y - O N E

Alexa

I was currently in the bathroom.

Why, you may ask?

I had a panic attack. Now I'm in a bathroom stall. I had no idea what triggered it, I just started freaking out.

It was so embarrassing, but I'm glad that none of my friends or Andrew were in the class that it had happened in. Because then that would worry them, and that was the last thing that I wanted.

I took a deep breath and opened the stall. I went to the sink and looked in the mirror. I washed my hands and hummed to myself. I think my heart was slowing down.

I heard footsteps from behind me and looked in the mirror again to see a girl. She was sneering at me. I swallowed and turned around. She narrowed her eyes at me. I realized that I knew her. She was in my art class. I've never talked to her though, so I didn't know why she was looking at me as if she hates me. I can't even remember her name.

"Hi..." I said, trying to sidestep, only for the girl to grab onto my wrist. I look at her. She looks at me.

"What's up with you and Elliot?"

Huh?

I found myself not even being afraid of this girl. I dealt with scarier people. This girl was around my height, maybe like two inches taller. The scariest thing about her was her sharp nails that were digging into my skin.

"Who even are you?" I found myself asking, narrowing my eyes right back at the girl.

"None of your business, hon," the girl said. "You need to stay away from Ellie—"

I started laughing. I couldn't help myself. She's definitely not going to win Elliot's heart by calling him Ellie.

Or by threatening me.

"Why the hell are you laughing?" The girl asked incredulously.

"I'm not scared of you," I told her, pulling my wrist away from her. She nail marks on my skin but I didn't care.

She gasped. "Do you know who I am?"

"No, that's why I asked."

"Stephanie. Ring any bells?"

I shook my head.

"The principal's daughter." Stephanie glared at me, clenching her fists to the side.

"So?"

"Stay away from Elliot or I'll have you expelled."

I sighed, not believing that she had the power to do that. "No, thanks," I said drily.

Stephanie slaps me.

I stare at her as my cheek stings.

She just....

I clenched my jaw and hit her right back, causing her to fall to the ground dramatically.

"Yeah," I said, smiling. "How about you stay away from Elliot."

***

Only a year ago I wouldn't have been able to stand up for myself. I've come along way, I think.

Now it was lunch time and I was sitting with Andrew, Michael, Jackson and Elliot. I was silent for a few minutes, listening to the others—mainly Michael—talk. Finally, I worked up my courage.

"So, Elliot," I started, "do you know a Stephanie?"

Elliot looks at me, mouth agape. I raise an eyebrow at him and he sighs.