S I X

Andrew

Is that really my sister?

When she bumped into me, she fell to the ground. As people walked around us, she made no move to get up. She just stared up at me in awe.

"Andy."

It came out as a mere whisper; I barely even heard it.

"Lexi."

My voice was just as soft as Lexi's. I helped pull her up and we stared at each other.

"Is it really you?" Lexi asked me, eyes brimming with tears.

"I should be asking you that." I was told that Lexi was probably dead. Told she killed herself. The news broke me, especially since Dad had lied to me about a's Lexi's whereabouts.

But yet, here Lexi was, right in front of me and definitely not dead. I wrapped Lexi in an embrace as the second bell rung.

"Shit, we're late," Lexi said, pulling away.

I widened my eyes--she cussed. When did she start cussing?

"I don't care," I tell her. "it's worth it. I got to see you, after all. Fuck.... I dunno. Do you want to hang out after school? I can let our stepbrothers and dad know, too. Cuz--"

"You know them." Lexi seemed kind of shock, though I didn't know why. She sighed. "Sorry, of course you do. I take it you live with our dad?"

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked.

Lexi shrugged. "'You're right, sorry. Don't tell our step bros .... I uh, just want one on one time with you first. If that's okay..."

I smiled, though something about Lexi seemed off. I'll have to ask her what's happened since I've been in a coma. "I'd like that too, Lexi," I tell her. "Hey, aren't you friends with my friends? Michael told me all about that! We can sit together at lunch!"

"Oh. Maybe... I don't know yet, I think we should both get to class, though."

"Of course! I'll see you hopefully at lunch."

Lexi nodded and then we parted ways.

***

Alexa

Andy. He's here. He's not in his coma. He's here. He's really here. I felt as if I could cry tears of joy. Maybe things are finally starting to look up for me.

Maybe since Andrew is here, I should give Michael, Elliot and Jackson another chance. According to Andrew, Michael still referred to me as a friend. I didn't know how I should feel about that.

Everything is so fucking confusing.

I walked down the hallway until my class came into view. Luckily, the door was still open. I took a deep breath, gathered my courage and walked in.

The teacher stopped speaking and glanced at me. "May I help you?" he asked me.

I blushed. Eyes of students were on me. I avoided looking, though. "i-I-Im sorry I'm late--it's my first day... I'm Alexa."

"Hart?" he asked, so I nodded. "I'm Mr. Jenkins. Please sit next to Michael--Michael raise your hand."

Michael....

Please let it be another Michael.

I turned my head, glancing around the class. Michael. He was sitting in the back, gaping at me, not even raising his hands. He was frozen.

"Michael!" Mr. Jenkins yelled.

"I-It's fine," I said. "I know who Michael is..."

I made my way over to him and sat down. "Hi." I wasn't sure what else to say. Michael stared at me some more, saying nothing,

Mr. Jenkins began teaching as if I had never interrupted.

I glanced at Michael. He looked away from me, staring down at his desk. If I wasn't paying close attention, I wouldn't have seen the small tear fall down his cheek.

I think I should forgive him.

"Michael," I whispered, grabbing a hold of his hand. "I've missed you " I hope he still wants to be friends with me. It may not be an excuse for what had happened, but Michael is easily influenced.

Michael looked up at me, eyes shimmering with tears. He didn't want them to fall. Looking at home, about to cry, made  my eyes well up with tears.

"I--I've missed you too," Michael said, his voice breaking. "Is it.... is it really you...?" He let go of my hand and squeezed my nose. "You feel real..."

"That's because I am," I said. I've never seen this side of Michael before.

"I thought you were dead... What happened?"

I frowned. "It's a long story, but everything is fine. It's over."

"You tried to kill yourself."

"No, I didn't," I lied.

"But--"

"I didn't," I repeat. "I'll explain more some other time. Just, let's hug."

Michael quickly wrapped his arms around me and I heard him sniffle. I softly smiled. I missed him more than I thought. I miss them all, I realized. I want to see Jackson and Elliot too...

"I'm sorry we didn't believe you," Michael said, letting go. I wish he didn't bring that up. I really didn't want a reminder of what had ended our friendship.

Suddenly his eyes widened. "Shit, Alexa. Your brother--Andrew--"

"Yeah, I bumped into him," I interrupted with a small laugh. "I was surprised to see him... I can't believe.."

Michael takes my hand. "Ellie and Jackson would love to see you, too. Sit with us at lunch. I know we hurt you, but please let us know things right. I'm so sorry, alexa. I love you so much. You're one of my best friends, okay? Now that you're back, I'm going to protect you and not hurt you. I promise."

I'm not sure if that was a promise he could keep, but even so, I loved hearing his promise. I love being told that he platonically loves me. Even though I don't believe anyone could ever truly love me, it's still a nice thing to hear. It makes me almost happy.

"Thank you, Mikey," I said, forcing a bright smile on my face. I still felt hollow after everything I've ensured, but I'm open to being friends again.

I don't want to be left alone. I have no choice but to forgive everyone. All I want is to be happy.

I don't want to end up with no one by my side.