Chapter 2 Visiting sick cousin Xie

Start from the beginning

Cui Shishuo patted her hand and consoled her: "You are so concerned that you are confused. Since she has pneumonia, I will ask someone to go to the warehouse to get some red ginseng and send them over later."

"Yes." Madam Xie thought for a while and finally said, "Master, Muli will be eighteen at the end of the year."

Cui Shishuo took the tea lid and skimmed the tea leaves then he paused. He was startled and sighed: "From a child to a seven-foot man, it passes so fast... time really flies by and the years are like a shuttle."

Madam Xie waited but before he could continue, her words were a little annoyed, "Is there nothing else you want to say?"

Cui Shishuo had been married to her for many years, how could he not know what she was thinking. He said seriously: "You mean Muli's marriage?"

It is both a question and an affirmation.

Madam Xie nodded and said straight to the point: "Muli has reached the age of getting engaged. Does the Master have a family that he likes? If not, I think A-Miao is about the same age as him. She has a gentle temperament and knows everything. She is a good match."

After all these words, Cui Shishuo was left with no choice.

Madam Xie is more than ten years younger than Cui Shishuo and he will choose to comply with her wishes in most things that are not painful or insignificant. But when it comes to Cui Muli's life events, Cui Shishuo can no longer let her temper lead him.

He said: "Muli has only been in office for a short period of time. It is the time when he needs to hone his skills. The engagement is not urgent. It will not be too late to mention it after he is crowned."

Cui Shishuo's refusal was very reasonable. Men and women in Da Qi got married relatively late and it was common for men to get married at the age of 17 and 18 for women.

However, Madam Xie heard the meaning within his words. She held her handkerchief and turned away her head.

Cui Shishuo smiled helplessly, stood up and walked to her. He put out his arms and held her, "I know what you are thinking. Brother-in-law An and Sister-in-law left early. You are the only relative left for A-Miao. It is understandable that you want to take care of her. But marriage is a big deal. Consensus can only last long...just like you and me."

Cui Shishuo and his first wife, Madam He, were married by a matchmaker ordered by their parents. Although they gave birth to a son and a daughter, they had to make do with each other emotionally. It wasn't until Madam He passed away due to illness and after Cui Shishuo stayed in mourning for three years that he met Madam Xie, the sister of an old friend and only then did he realize what it was like to have a deep love in his recent thirties.

How could Madam Xie not know?

She was silent for a long time and leaned her head into his arms. Although her posture was submissive, she thought in her heart: My A-Miao is the best woman in the world. As long as she uses some tricks, Muli will always be able to discern pearls. When the time comes for him to marry, he still has to get through her as his stepmother and aunt!

—She actually didn't take Xie Miao's rejection to heart at all.

*

After the meal, Cui Shishuo and Cui Muli talked in the study. The two chatted about the political affairs of the court and Cui Shishuo suddenly said: "When I went to court today, His Majesty deliberately appointed Zhang Xianzong as the Prime Minister of the Left. I estimate that he will issue an order in the near future."

Cui Muli also heard about this and frowned slightly, "His Majesty, this is..."

Cui Shishuo said: "The Fourth Prince is good at controlling floods and preventing epidemics. He has won the favour of the people from below. Naturally, Imperial Concubine Zhang's family will be prosperous."