Chapter 3 - Guest of honour

"It's a lot easier said than done."

(Bonfire scene.)

You find your seat beside Liam, but he immediately pulls you onto his lap. You laugh and snuggle into him as you watch Gally start his fighting circle.

...

Newt and Greenie sits a little away from the bofn and crowd, by a lodge, looking out on the door to the Maze.

"Hell of a first day, greenie." Newt says, having sat down beside the new guy after introducing himself. "Here." Newt hands him a jar. "Put some hair on your chest."

He takes a sip and immediately spits it out, coughing.

"Argh!" He groans. Newt laughs. "Oh, my god, what is that?"

"I don't even know." Newt admits chuckling. "It's Gally's recipe. It's trade secret." He says looking toward the said boy in the fighting circle.

Greenie turns to follow his gaze and sees Gally.

"Yeah, well, he's still an asshole." Greenie says looking at him. Then he moves his gaze to the side, seeing you again, sitting on Liams lap, his arm around your waist holding you close to him. He glances around confused, just now realising you're the only girl.

"He saved your life today." Newt tells him. "Trust me, the Maze is a dangerous place."

They both look at the doors to the Maze.

"We're trapped here, aren't we?" Greenie asks.

"For the moment. But.." Newt turns in his seat pointing to the crowd. "See those guys, there, by the fire? Those are the Runners."

Greenie runs to look at the group, recognising Minho from earlier.

"And that guy in the middle there, that's Minho. He's the keeper of the Runners. Now, every morning when those doors open.." Newt points to the doors to the Maze. "They run the maze, mapping it, memorising it, trying to find a way out."

"How long have they been looking?"

"Three years." Newt tells him.

"And they haven't found anything?" Greenie asks in disbelief.

"It's a lot easier said than done. Listen.." Newt says. Greenie listens to the rumbling noise in the distance. "Hear that? That's the Maze changing. It changes every night."

"How's that even possible?"

"You can ask the people who put us in here if you ever meet the bastards." Newt says. "Listen, the truth is, the Runners are the only ones that really know what's out there. They're the strongest, well except for Liam he's strongest but he's not a runner. But they're the fastest of us all, and it's a good thing too, because if they don't make it back before those doors close, they're stuck out there for the night. And no one's ever survived a night in the Maze."

"What happens to them?"

"Well, we call them Grievers. Of course, no one's ever seen one and lived to tell about it. But they're out there."

It's quiet for a moment, before Greenie glances at the crowd again, his eyes landing on you.

"What about her?" He asks and Newt chuckles.

"That's Y/N." He tells him, not having to turn around to know who he's referring to.

Seeing the Greenie staring, he raises an eyebrow at him.

"Don't even think about it, Greenie. She's taken. Have been since most of us got here and will be forever, by Liam. Those two are inseparable." He tells him.