Chapter 1 - First and only Girl

"We don't know much."

A thump and rumbling startle you awake. You gasp, coughing up water. With wide eyes you frantically look around confused.

You were in a box, and it was moving, upwards. Trying to stand you stumble and fall back down. You cough and look around again.

"Hello?" You croak out before clearing your throat and repeating.

What is happening? You look around at the boxes and exclaim in fright when an animal squeals at you from its cage. Crawling closer, the creature grunts at you and you jump back.

The box halt to a stop and you fall down again, making you grunt as you land harshly and groan in annoyance.

Then the top of the box opens.

Looking up at the small crowd. You squint your eyes to get a better look when one of them jumps down, startling you.

He raises his hands up to show he doesn't mean any harm. He has a blank look on his face as he studies, taking slow steps closer to you.

You try crawling away from him and he leans down slowly to your level.

"Hey." He says casually leaning his hand on his knees.

You just stare at him, glancing up at the crowd a bit. They were just a few boys. Then looking back at the boy in front.

"Hey." You whisper and he smiles a little, but covers it with a blank look right after.

"Come on." He reaches his hand out for you to take. Slowly and hesitantly you take it and he helps you up.

One of the boys reach down with their arms and before you know it you're being lifted by the waist by the boy behind you. You yelp in surprise, making the boys chuckle.

The guy who caught you helps steady you while the boy behind you climbs out. You glance behind you at him, he just looks at you for moment before leaving.

"Hey, I'm Alby." The guy who caught you and pulled you up says. Smiling friendly at you.

The boys scatter, some following the boy from before, but Alby stays by you.

"Do you know your name?" He asks and you're about to tell him when nothing comes to mind.

You frown at him confused and then a little sacred.

"Hey, it's okay, it's normal. Happened to us too. You get your name back in a day or two, most likely. Do you remember anything else, anything at all?" He asks.

Shaking your head sadly, you frown looking down at the ground uneasy.

Then you look up and at your surroundings.

"What is this place?" You ask.

"Come, I'll show you." He says and gestures for you to follow him.

...

"We don't know much." Alby admits. "All we know is that we're surrounded by a gigantic maze. Whatever we need, the box provides us. The rest seems to be up to us. We've started to try and grow our own food. Right know were still working on expanding our shelter. Got a hammock ready for you." Alby tells you and you give him a small smile. "A new boy gets sent up every month with the fresh supplies. Well, person i mean, because now you, the first girl." He gestures to you.

"Sent up?" You frown. "By who? Who sends us up here?"

"We don't know." Alby answers sadly. You stare confused at the box.

Alby notices someone in the distance.

"Hey, Liam!" He shouts, startling you a bit at the sudden exclamation. "Oh, sorry." He apologises.