Chapter Sixty-Four: I Went to Meet My Varsity Boyfriend! Ugh!

Start from the beginning

"You knew about it."

This time, her head jerked back up and she looked at me in the eyes for the first time. "No, I swear to god Eve, I might've said horrible things about you and Jayden but I swear to god, I did not know about this."

I looked at her for a couple of seconds before sighing, shaking my head. "Sorry. I know you didn't."

She put her forehead on her palms, rubbing them. She looked kind of stressed if I was being honest. 

"I wanted to explain everything to you, I really did, Eve but that guy..."

"Newt Hutchins?" I offered, and she looked up. 

"How do you know?" She asked me, blinking slowly. 

I breathily let out a laugh. "Long story."

"I should bow down to you," she looked down at her toes. I don't know why, but I think her eyes were pooling with tears right now. "I'm so sorry, I really was forced into this whole thing. I wanted to tell you so bad but I couldn't because they literally..."

She sniffed, looking up and I realized I was right. She was crying. 

"They were literally keeping my phone in check in case I contacted someone in it," she wiped her eyes, turning to the counter and placing her hands on the cold marble, playing with her fingers. "And the girls... they didn't let anyone come near me since they were keeping me in check too. So I didn't talk to anyone about anything and I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous but..."

She trailed off, looking helpless. 

Yeah you forgot to tell me about that Kate.

I didn't know what to say to her or whether would it be appropriate to say anything at all, but she did look vulnerable. And it was the first time I felt bad seeing her instead of being angry. 

"Evelyn, if I could, I would've told you way more sooner, trust me, but I had no other choice," Rose blew her nose in a tissue. The situation kind of reminded me of when she was dumped by Tyler. 

"So I guessed it right," I nodded, looking straight at her. 

She confusedly stared back. "Guess?"

I scratched my chin, not sure about it myself. "I kind of knew that there might be a hostage situation but we kind of pulled in Kate into the scene and she did not tell us about the whole phone thing..."

"Wait, wait," Rosetta stopped me, frowning deeply. "You pulled who into the scene?"

"Um, yeah that's kind of a long-"

"Shut up." She snapped, turned around, rubbed the back of her neck then turned to me again. "By Kate, do you mean Charlies Angels Kate?"

I shrugged. "I would've told you if there was another Kate."

"That bitch," she hissed, wrapping her fingers in a fist. "That bitch dared to comb herself into you guys to..."

"Woah, woah, woah," I stopped her, frowning. "Guys? When did I say anything about guys?"

It was the first time I saw her smile a little. It seemed familiar and homely and for the first time, I was glad I was here. "You really thought I wouldn't see it when you guys quite literally flocked in groups in front of the school everyday?"

"I thought we were being discreet," I mumbled to myself, smiling widely nevertheless. 

"Yeah," She snorted but her eyes turned sad almost immediately. 

"I'll just come clean to you," I said, glancing at the floor. "I was super angry. I was so angry that I was sure I would never talk to you again but I guess I had to."