Chapter XXXI "The Encounter"

Samuel's perspective

11 days went by.

I had completely forgotten what I was trying to find, why I was walking, or where I was trying to go.
Despite this, I kept walking anyways, thinking I'll perhaps come across something, or even someone.

At last, I found a sign of the existence of people.
A wooden notice board.
On it was a piece of paper, a wanted poster.
The face on it looked familiar... Very familiar...

'Grayson... That name, it sounds so familiar... Where have I heard that name before?' I thought to myself.

Many times, I've tried to think back to that moment, and to yell to my past self in my own head.

Yet no matter how many times I try, how long I try it, or how loud of a yell I try to think, my past self never remembers.
To this day, that fact pains me greatly.

Just as I was about to continue on my way, I was grabbed my the shoulder, and a sword was held against my throat.
"Make one more move and you die." A male voice said quickly from behind me.
"Can't even scratch my nose?" I asked quietly.
"Don't get smart." The man said.
"I wasn't being smart, I was being logical." I said.
"Well, don't do that either." He replied.

"Something tells me you've been given the same directions." I mumbled.
"I said don't get smart!" He yelled, as he put the sword's blade even closer to my throat, having heard me.
"Alright, alright, I wont't..." I said.
"Good, because you're wanted alive or dead." The man said.
"I had a feeling that was why you're holding a sword to my throat." I said.

"Wanted dead or alive by who?" I began, after pausing.
"Are you an idiot? The Empire, who do you think?" He answered slowly.
"I meant, who specifically, wants me dead or alive?" I clarified.
"The King, that's who." He answered again.

"My memory hasn't been great as of recently, if you could be so kind as to remind me as to why that is as." I said, trying not to sound like I was trying to be smart again.
"For being an accomplice to the dragon egg thief, and murder."
'Wait, what? Since when did I do that?' I asked myself, nearly out loud.
"I can assure you there must be a mistake office- I mean, sir." I stumbled.

"I make no mistakes." The man said coldly.
"Then if I were you, I would bring myself to wherever it is I'm supposed to be going, as I'm assuming you're expected to not be late."
"Where you're going, is to be personally executed by the king."
"Well that's wonderful news, I've always wanted to meet him." I said optimistically.

With that, the man nudged me, as a gesture to start moving.