Chapter 14: Narrow Victory

Start from the beginning

"Senbons should be fine."

Tatsuma murmured to himself, paying little attention to the incoming senbons. His focus zeroed in on Minato's trajectory, prompting him to take a step forward and draw upon the boxing techniques he had honed during his past life in university. These acquired skills now proved invaluable in the midst of battle.

With swift precision, Tatsuma executed a well-practiced step, blocking Minato's oncoming right leg with his left shoulder. Simultaneously, he seized Minato's right knee with his left hand, while his right hand tightly clenched a kunai. Employing the blade as an improvised weapon, Tatsuma delivered a punch to Minato's abdomen.

As the punch connected, the concentrated power in Minato's core instantly dissipated. Staggering backward, he became vulnerable, and Tatsuma seized the opportunity to skillfully bring him to the ground. Simultaneously, Tatsuma knelt forward, applying pressure with his knee against Minato's stomach, leaving him powerless. The kunai in Tatsuma's right hand pressed firmly against Minato's collarbone.

Tatsuma's initially serious expression gradually softened into a smile as he remarked, "Impressive as always, Minato. But this time, luck happened to be on my side."

Unconcerned about his own defeat, Minato directed his attention to the senbons embedded in Tatsuma's shoulder and thigh, anxiously inquiring, "Are you okay?"

"Huh? I wouldn't have felt it if you hadn't mentioned it," Tatsuma replied. Minato's reminder brought the soreness in his muscles and the piercing sensation from the senbon to Tatsuma's attention, causing the kunai against Minato's collarbone to weakly loosen.

"Atoma-sensei! Come quickly and check on Tatsuma."

Observing Tatsuma's stiff fall to the side, Minato anxiously called out to Sarutobi Atoma, who was approaching. Sarutobi Atoma nodded and reassured, "It's just some minor injuries, mainly due to extreme fatigue."

Inside the classroom, Tsunade squinted through the window at the scene and remarked, "Are these two really on good terms? How can two people with a good relationship go so hard on each other?"

In the blink of an eye, the transition from inflicting injuries to expressing concern for each other struck an unusual chord.

Sarutobi Hiruzen offered an explanation, "Over the past few months, they've been training together. Except for the final round, the previous exchanges were probably familiar to both sides, so it wasn't dangerous."

"Still first-year students, right? Their level of determination might even surpass some ninjas, don't you think, Jiraiya?"

Tsunade's observation prompted Jiraiya's face to take on a greenish hue. If Orochimaru's earlier comments might have been unintentional, Tsunade was now openly pointing fingers and scolding, wasn't she?

However, while Jiraiya dared to express his anger towards Orochimaru, he refrained from doing the same with Tsunade. Instead, he silently swallowed his grievances.

Sarutobi Hiruzen, with a smile, remarked, "Tsunade, weren't you uninterested before? How about now?"

Tsunade paused for a moment, then shook her head and continued, "These two kids are indeed impressive for first-years, even when compared to students in other grades at the ninja school. However, I still don't want to play house with kids. I don't have time to waste on these students."

"No need to rush. Right now, it's just for you all to have a look. Even if you really want to be their sensei, you'll have to wait until they graduate."

Sarutobi Hiruzen waved his hand, content with Tsunade's noticeable shift in attitude. There was no need to push for more. Pushing too far might upset Tsunade, and she could stubbornly refuse to take on disciples for an extended period.

Observing Sarutobi Hiruzen's lack of intention to force the issue, Tsunade nodded. At barely twenty years old and having recently attained the rank of Jonin, she wasn't inclined to waste her prime training years babysitting children.

"I'd like to go and interact with these two kids."

Ever since receiving the prophecy from the Great Toad Sage a few years ago, Jiraiya had entertained the idea of finding a student. It would be even better if the student turned out to be the prophesized one, but it wasn't a strict requirement. Confident in his ability to instruct the prophesized one, he believed he could excel in teaching others. Even if a student wasn't the chosen one, they should still become better ninjas under his guidance.

Hearing Jiraiya's words, Sarutobi Hiruzen nodded and said, "You're all on break now. Feel free to do whatever you want. You've seen what you needed to see today. If you have things to attend to, you can leave."

"Alright."

Tsunade turned and walked away. Orochimaru pondered for a moment, confirming there was no crucial information to linger for, and said, "Well then, Sarutobi-sensei, I'll be going."

Sarutobi Hiruzen waved his hand, then turned to Jiraiya, who remained by his side, and asked, "Is there anything else you need?"

"Cough, um..."

Jiraiya's face showed a hint of embarrassment, and he continued, "Sensei, well, it's about the mission reward."

"You're short by over a hundred and something thousand? With the village's finances being so tight right now, can't you wait a bit before claiming it?" Sarutobi Hiruzen appeared somewhat displeased. Jiraiya, with a touch of helplessness, added, "Tsunade 'borrowed' all my money. I can't even afford ramen now."

Hearing Jiraiya emphasize the word "borrowed," Sarutobi Hiruzen grasped the implication. He nodded and said, "Let's go to the Hokage Tower to get it then. By the way, Jiraiya, sometimes you really need to hold onto your money. Well, never mind, I know you won't understand. Here's a hundred thousand, and I'll safeguard the rest for you."

"Uh, okay."

----

Check out my patreon for more advanced chapters patreon.com/HellGolt