Chapter 19 - Please, The Truth.

Chapter 19 — Please, The Truth.

🁙🁒

Obi and Shania make it out onto the nearest balcony, the air crisp and calm, quite the contrast from the loud ballroom. Shania leans herself against the stone wall surrounding the area, admiring how the stars light up the night sky. Obi leans beside her moments later, his eyes glancing at her every so often.

"You're a good dancer," Shania says, breaking the silence.

"And you didn't step on any of my toes," Obi replies. Shania shoves him in retaliation making him laugh. "I heard it's been ages since you danced. Was expecting someone with two left feet."

"At least I can say my dancing lessons were one of the things I didn't forget after all that time." Although said lightheartedly, Obi can hear the saddened tone in her voice.

"This is probably too personal but... Did you ever love that man—Prince—you were supposed to marry?"

Shania doesn't think long before answering. "No. To be fair, we never loved each other. Our engagement was more of a beneficially driven arrangement. The crown already had people married into other kingdoms, so there was no pressure for the second prince to choose royalty."

Obi doesn't respond right off the bat, taking his time to process.

"He was too close of a friend to love like that," she elaborates. "Maybe with more time, I could of. But I didn't."

He remains silent, his shoulders relaxing the slightest bit at her answer. Shania glances to the side, catching his watchful eye for just a moment before he glances away. She lets the silence hang for some time, leaning gently on his arm before opening her mouth.

"...You were there that night, weren't you?"

Obi straightens. "What?"

"That night at the castle, you were there. You were part of the bandits sent to the castle. And please... Don't lie."

"Shania I—... I'm sorry, I—..." Obi stumbles over his words, trying to find the right thing to say. This was the last truth he wanted her to hear. He takes a step backwards, away from Shania who has taken to wringing her fingers in anxiousness. For her, this is answer enough. "It was my job—I didn't know—" He takes another step back.

"It's ok..." Shania mutters. " I'm not blaming you."

He stops moving at her words.

"You did what you were paid for... I came to terms with this weeks ago."

"You knew?" He asks, voice cracking momentarily. He lowers his head, eyes shielded by the strands of his fringe.

"Yes. I also know that you aren't that person anymore—It's been years. You have Zen's trust, and because of that you have mine."

He begins to shake his head slowly, eyes still lowered. His fists tighten and he turns around. As he begins his walk from the balcony, Shania feels her heart sink as a piece of herself is being pulled away with him. Again, her world begins to crumble because of the one man who has become so much to her.

"Please don't leave," Shania calls. Obi hesitates for just a moment before proceeding to the door. "Don't keep avoiding me, I beg you. It hurts me so much when you do. Obi!"

He doesn't reply.

"I thought we were ok... Obi, please..."

Nothing.

"I love you!"

A pause. The ex-assassin is stopped in his tracks, back facing Shania, not allowing her to see his expression.

"I love you..."

As the words tumble from her lips once again, Obi finally breaks. He whirls around and races back to Shania. He envelopes her in his arms, sinking his head into her brunette locks. He inhales deeply, being smothered by the musk he has been craving for too long. He can feel her small frame succumb to his embrace, allowing him to pull her in even tighter.

An eternity passes before Obi loosens his hold, pulling his head back just enough to rest his cheek on Shania's temple.

"I've loved you from the start," he mumbles out, goosebumps noticeably erupting over Shania's skin. Obi pulls back more, staring now into her jewel eyes. She smiles with unadulterated love, and Obi can no longer help himself.

He leans forward, and their lips meet.