Chapter 1, The Does He Like Me?

Disclaimer:

While the story may mention the names of real-life historical people and locations, the main characters are fictional, so any resemblance to actual persons or events is purely coincidental.

I reserve all rights to my characters and my storyline.

This book is complete, but I'll update weekly, so you can keep up easily. Please, heart, comment, or add, so I know you are reading this.

You'll grow up with the young characters, chapter by chapter.

Amalia

It seemed like I blinked, then opened my eyes to my third summer in New Sable. Well, it's more like the end of my third summer now. In less than two weeks, when school resumes, I'll be a freshman in high school and turning fifteen the same month. I'll be leaving my closest friend and brother in junior high, and I'm not looking forward to becoming one of the new and youngest students in the school or sitting on the bench for slow-pitch softball if, and that's a big if, I even make the team.

My easier childhood days are gone with my flat chest, and everything is changing.

I gawk at myself in the full-length mirror, cursing my hair while I get ready for the movies. As I spray on more anti-frizz gel, I realize each new sunrise is burning a little more, and I'm becoming more spiritless by the day.

I sigh. Everything is changing. Everything but how I feel about him.

From the start, Talan Swifthawk blinded me. Meaning that every other guy near him stays nameless, faceless blurs in my mind. Kinsley doesn't understand it, so she's constantly trying to convince me to go out with somebody else, mainly because Talan goes out with other girls. She uses that argument on me all the time. I've heard a lot about different girls he likes or who likes him. My older brother Jaxon makes sure of that. I'm forever pretending not to care, which isn't always easy. Sometimes, I'm disgusted with Talan about a story I hear, especially when it involves someone I know. But his gorgeous smile permeates through me every time he flares it in my direction, so I can't stay mad at him for long.

Besides, he has no clue about my feelings for him. Why wouldn't he go out with other girls?

I shake my head at myself, trying to shake him from my mind because I'm not even supposed to like him.

"Amalia, I'm here!" Kinsley's voice echoes from the living room. Even though she's a year younger than me, Kinsley Walker is my best friend. I've known her since before we moved here.

Our dads served in the military and now serve in the Forestry Department together. My dad, Mateo Aguirre, is a Game Warden. Her dad, Chase Walker, works as a dispatcher. He suffered a leg injury when they were in Iraq. Their brotherhood brought our family from New Mexico to the small town of New Sable, which has a population of less than two thousand. We enjoy the best of both worlds, surrounded by mountains and only an hour from the coast.