Chapter 26

I watched Matteo slowly eat his meal. Children, I believe, are like sponges. They take in everything that happens around them and internalize it. I'm no professional, but my research area did focus around children, so I felt like I needed to take a chance with Matteo. He felt like that lollipop was the reason why his parents passed, so he's been feeling revulsion to food.

But a child doesn't understand these things. All he probably thought, as a little toddler, was that food was bad. But that also means since his emotions aren't developed to that level yet, his body will take over his actions. And that's what I was hoping happened when I made him kick the ball.

Not only would he physically tire himself out and want food, but the screaming would be a good way to let the little child let out his feelings. He didn't know how to verbalize them yet, and rather than taking years to teach him how to verbalize his feelings and build up all those pent up feelings, it was better to find a side pathway first, so that his feelings wouldn't be bottled up and manifest into trauma.

He finished his meal, leaving not a crumb behind, and I sighed in relief. At least he got some food in his system now. That was enough progress for today. I didn't want to push it too much, so I went to the other kids to see what they were doing, only to see Matteo was following me closely like a tail. I took a step forward, he did the same.

A step to the left? Right? He also followed.

I bit back a grin. This feels a bit like Simon says...but opposite the rules.

I wonder if he wants to hold my hand?

I deliberately slowed down so that I was walking beside him, but he didn't reach out his hand. So he's just acting a little clingy. That's okay. Damn. This reminds me of Milo.

I saw the other kids forming a circle and avidly discussing something, looking like a bunch of meerkats trying to devise an evil scheme. I slowly creeped up on them.

"What are you guys doing?"

"AHHHHHH!"

Instantly, all of them broke out into screams. I didn't really mean to scare them...

This was a good orphanage, and all the kids built a sense of community. Although it seemed like they were isolating Matteo by surrounding him in the morning, and then leaving him after breakfast to go play, they weren't. They've all known each other for a long time and after a week of trying to get to know Matteo, only for him to not budge, I think they're hearts were a little sad.

Even now, they were trying to think of quiet games that didn't involve talking, that they could play and hope that Matteo would be interested. But they couldn't think of any.

I glanced at Matteo, feeling like he wasn't in the mood to play anything today, quiet or not.

"Why don't we play hide-and-seek?" I suggested, and after screams of excitement, we started the game. I was the counter, of course, and Matteo was my little helper.

***

I forgot how energetic these kids were.

I was so tired. I should've known I would be the seeker most of the time when I brought up the game. The adult never gets to hide.

Still, it was a good day today. I said bye to all the kids and headed out of the orphanage, heading towards the bus. I didn't forget to give Matteo a small wave first before leaving, however. He didn't seem so resistant towards me or the other kids anymore. We made some progress!

I sat on the bus, thinking about today. I wonder how Lyra's doing.

I sent her a text: Lyra, did you make it over there safely? How are things going?