Chapter 13

In City D. January 4, 2023. Almost a year later.

"Tariq Runyon! I agreed to send you to the military back then to help develop discipline and control. Now that you spent 10 years there, you're still unwilling to come back? You are 27 for god's sake. Your old man here, me, is getting old. Do you want me to just keep deteriorating away behind the desk? Come back and take over the company, will you?!"

I sighed as I finished cleaning my uniform. I put the phone on speaker and set it aside as I knew Dad would start his long nagging again.

"Is Uncle Leon starting his lecture again? You know Tariq, maybe it's time we return. I wonder how City S has changed in the past decade." Aaron Capponi, my best friend since diapers, showed his support for his dear Uncle Leon.

"You're just saying that because your mom scolded you yesterday. Careful I don't call your older sister to give you a scolding for not returning either." Caught red handed, Aaron quickly took my shoes from the closet and started polishing them. "I'm so sorry my dear Master Runyon. Forgive me for not supporting you in this oppressive fight for freedom against our families." Swiftly ignoring him, I turned back towards my phone to give Dad a response.

"Dad, I'll call you later, okay? I have to wake up at 4am tomorrow to help with training the fresh batch of students tomorrow." I swiftly hung up after Dad said goodbye, amongst his groans of me being a heartless son. I wasn't truly heartless, alright? But when you're placed at a military academy from a young age, it's kind of hard to not show a tough front.

"We should return. It's been a long time and I can hear Dad's voice getting more and more fatigued. It's not like Grandpa and Grandma are getting any younger either." I told Aaron. I knew he wanted to go home too. We've been separated from our families for so long, it was time to go back.

The next morning after training the new troops, Aaron and I went to the camp's main headquarters with our resignation letters.

"I should've known this day was coming since the moment your parents contacted me to have you join the military. Too bad you guys are too good. I don't want to let you go back now." Commander Colt stared sadly at Aaron and I, but he let us go quickly. However, I didn't know that he got a call yesterday from our parents, and he was threatened almost to the point of tears.

The Commander of Nation L, one of the strongest nations, who's had more than 30 years of experience under his belt being threatened to the point of tears by a few parents...this scene was quite comical actually.

Aaron and I swiftly booked tickets for the evening train to head back towards City S. I was a decisive person. Once I make a decision, I'm sure to stick with it till the very end. There was no time nor place to be indecisive when you were at the military.

By the time I opened the door to the Runyon villa it was already 11pm. The villa that was supposed to have been dark due to everyone falling asleep was still brightly lit. I slowly made my way to the office room upstairs, only to see Dad working hard behind the desk. He still looked youthful, the slight age only adding to his charisma, but I could see that this handsome older man didn't have the same energy as a few years ago. His face held traces of fatigue. Damn. The guilt was coming in real strong, wasn't it?

"Dad...I'm home."

Leon Runyon swiftly turned around and stared at his son. The short military buzz haircut forced his facial features to stand out more. Pitch black eyes stared back at him. Tariq stood at the door to the office room with his tall and lean body. Mr. Runyon seemed to see shadows of his late wife behind Tariq right then and there. His eyes softened and he slowly stood up to give Tariq a hug.