Chapter 30

Tariq's reflexes kicked in and he yanked me to run with him as we both scanned for places we could hide for shelter. I found a small store that had an awning over a few steps. Bingo! I tried to tell Tariq to come with me but he likely couldn't hear me through the pitter patter sound of rain so I simply pulled him to run with me instead of the other way around.

I was panting, out of breath when we reached the steps. I looked at Tariq and although he wasn't in as bad of a condition as me, he was also still out of breath.

He looked at me after shaking his hair.

We were quiet for a little, before suddenly bursting into laughter. We both were sopping wet, and I had no doubt I looked like a wet dog right now. My hair became wet from the rain and started to wave up, and I felt wet all over from my clothes sticking onto me.

Tariq was in a similar situation, but he looked even more frazzled considering how he was trying to make sure the grocery bag didn't burst open, spilling its contents onto the road the entire time we were running.

"Do you think it'll stop anytime soon?"

We both looked put at the rain, watching how the water almost overtook the first step closest to the ground. It was pitch black with a hint of navy, and there were very few street lights on, giving a dim atmosphere. It was like we were right next to a waterfall, given how loud and fast the rain was falling.

"I'm not too sure."

I looked at him, my brain dinging with an idea.

"I mean, we're already soaking wet. What if we just made a run for it home?"

"No. That's...actually not a terrible idea?"

"Right! It's better than staying here in damp clothes, waiting for the rain to slow down, only to get wet again. We might as well just make a run for it home and take showers in hot water and dry off, avoiding getting a cold."

"Give me one of the bags"

"No, I can carry them. You focus on not tripping over nothing and falling into puddles."

I was offended. "I do not trip over nothing!"

"What about earlier today then? Or last time? Or even before that?"

"I was lost in thought at those times!"

"Yeah, and if I didn't snap you out of your daze, who knows how many times you would've needed nose surgery to fix a broken nose from falling."

Fine, he got me there.

"Okay I'll be careful. Ready to go?

"Yeah."

And with that, we headed off again, with him holding my hand once again.

I didn't know where we were, and I am terrible with directions. Directionally-challenged of you will, so I followed him blindly, hoping he knew where we were going.

Maybe it was when we were about 3 minutes away from Tariq's home, I heard a weird sound through the rain. The rain softened a little, and it was no longer a downpour but it was still raining pretty consistently.

"Tariq, do you hear that?" I pulled his hand back towards me, trying to get his attention.

"The whimpering sound?"

"Yeah it sounds like..."

"A puppy?"

We exchanged glances, and tried to go to where the sound was coming from. We went to the bushes and the sound grew even louder.