Scene 14 | My Wounds Bare To You

"Every member of the Marechaussee Phantom is currently busy with the preparations of Focalors' celebration." Wanderer said. "They want to finish this case as soon as possible to reassure visitors that everything is fine. They also want to use this opportunity to let them see how 'Justice' works in this nation."

Furina sighed. "I'm not surprised, but if they investigated the location and the day of my arrival prior to all the kidnapping cases, then everything would be over."

"But the thing is, they have too much on their hands to know and investigate that. Plus someone is acting as your prosecutor." The ex-harbinger smirked. "Seems like that 'kidnapper' friend of ours wanted to use this chance to put the blame on you."

The ex-archon looked at her companion in sudden exhilaration. "Wait, my prosecutor was the guy who tried to kidnap that little girl? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. If the victim woke up, this trial would be over then."

"That's why I told you everything would be fine." The ex-harbinger said. "This is a ridiculous trial."

Furina suddenly became quiet, her expression thoughtful. "...a ridiculous trial, huh?"

She looked down on her hands as she chuckled. "Back in my time as Archon, there have been many 'ridiculous' cases that even The Chief of Justice couldn't help but frown upon." She gestured in her hand. "There was one time where a Fontainian was caught abusing a pet named as Furina, that person had a strong grudge against me. So, the Iudex made erm-- a law where all Fontainians are not allowed to name any pets as Furina."

Wanderer looked at her weirdly. "The Chief of Justice made a law for you?"

"Yes, he did. Although I mentioned it beforehand as a joke, but that guy took my words seriously. It was only after the rumors spread where I realized that the Iudex had added the law." The ex-archon smiled and played with her handcuff.

"Sometimes happy moments like those last for only but a moment. The law he made for me may have been absurd, but I highly appreciated the way he tried to help." Her hand rose to see the handcuffs in the light's glare. "And now..."

"...Neuvillette probably hates me in the present." She confessed. "And I hate how I made that same kind and impartial Iudex, do something underhanded just so... just so I can say the secret I've been hiding for a long time. And now I've dirtied his hands because I pushed him at the edge of desperation."

The ex-harbinger became thoughtful as the silence became dominant and tensed.

"Are you sure about that?"

Furina looked at her companion. "What?"

He grumbled. "I don't think he would hate you for lying. If he is what you told me, then I'm speculating that he doesn't have any grudge against you. It's more like he--"

Furina put a finger to her lips as the sounds of footsteps approached their room in the Opera Epiclese. Wanderer shut his mouth and scowled at being interrupted, he brought down his hat to hide his eyes as he leaned his back to the wall.

Three knocks. "Ms. Freia."

The two looked at an officer that saluted and gestured outside. "The preparation is complete, please go on to the stage." He looked at the ex-harbinger and startled as he gulped when he saw the dark aura surrounding the man. "A-are you perhaps her attorney?"

Furina spoke first. "No, I'll defend it myself."

Wanderer opened his mouth to rebuke but stopped when he saw how her closed fist, and the shivers that captured her whole body with slight trembling. He closed his violet eyes before he stepped forward and gave her a weak push, startling her. He didn't see a weak gasp of pain when he did.