34 - The Best Friend

Done with dinner and ready to call it a night, the two best friends stood outside the restaurant waiting for the valet to return with Kris' rental. It was sporty and red; that was all Lilith knew about it. As they chatted aimlessly a black Rolls Royce pulled up and an attendant went to open the passenger door. Lilith was mid laugh when she turned in the direction of the car. When she saw Reeva step out, her face fell and every happy thought imploded and left nothing but gloom. She knew who was in the driver's seat; she just couldn't believe that this was about to happen again. When she darted her eyes to Kris, there was something cold taking over her eyes. She was watching Reeva adjust her fitted black dress that clung to every curve and ended just above her knee. Yeah there was something dark in Kris' emerald eyes but there was a hidden fire that she saw. Lilith frowned and when she turned back to Reeva, the other woman had frozen into place with eyes glued to Kris. Her long blond hair was pinned with a silver brooch just at her right ear while the rest fell straight at her right. It was not as long as Lilith's but almost as healthy as hers. She was still so beautiful and it just wasn't fair.

"Number two..." Kris whispered as she took the first step in Reeva's direction.
"Lilith..." The absolutely male voice made the fine hairs on her arm lift as if to hear him better or as if the vibration of the tenor had seduced them. Lilith rubbed at the goose pimples and swallowed as Vincent approached her. His face was still bruised and purpled from the beating Ivan had given him, and yet he was still bold enough to approach her.

"So that's what Ivan did to you." Kris said as she stopped in front on the motionless Reeva and looked at Vincent.

"Kristen-"
"Just think what I would do to you if you take one more step in her direction."
"You don't have to-" Vincent tried again; holding his hands away from his body to suggest he meant no harm.
"I'm aware of what I have and don't have to do you little shit. Don't fucking go near her or I will castrate you right here."
"I just want to apologize to her for-"
"For what? Fucking her life up? Making her believe that you gave a shit about her? Pretending as if she was what you really wanted but you stayed with this whore? Please stop me when I get the right answer." Kris spewed; obviously not intimidated one bit by Reeva because she turned to give Vincent her attention.

"Vinny let's just go..." Reeva murmured; drawing Kris' attention back to her.
"Someone said you could talk princess?"
"Don't call me th-that." Reeva shuddered.
"But you always liked it when I called you that..."
"Kris please..." Reeva whispered; her cheeks flushed and her eyes dancing from the beautiful brunette and her husband.

Lilith was still observing the play of words between Kris and Reeva. Years ago her friend had threatened this girl on her behalf in Alberton's restroom. Reeva who Lilith had thought to be the coldest bitch in the school had bowed down in defeat to Kris. Kris' father having more money than Reeva's was not the real reason. Whatever she had whispered to Reeva, whatever secret it was that Kris had kept was clear to her now; they'd been lovers. Was Reeva really one of the blondes that broke her best friend's heart? She was not going to say a word, but watch this all play out. Well that would be possible if Vincent would forget trying to talk to her. She wanted nothing to do with him and an apology was not necessary at all.

"Listen, clearly you and Reeva have something to talk about; while you're doing that, I'll stay right here and talk to LIilth."
"What makes you believe I care to hear what you have to say?" Lilith finally chimed in. Pretty fucking presumptuous of him.
"I...I didn't think you would, I just hoped you would give me a chance-"
"Vinny!" Reeva exclaimed in disbelief.
"What? It doesn't matter anymore remember? Don't let one dinner fool you." It was said with pure hostility. What had transpired between the two since that night at Saison Restaurant? Lilith felt the fragments and shards of their relationship crunching beneath her feet as Ivan had led her out of that restroom. Something had been broken beyond repair in their wake and she had felt no sorrow in its regard.