Chapter 31: Team Victory

Four days have passed since I convinced Mr. Hartwell to expose Vivian. I haven't heard from him but when I asked Justin about it he said he's already turned the evidence to the higher authorities. I wanted more updates but there was nothing I could do about it. I had also gotten my result of the test I had given. I got an A, pretty decent I would say. The teachers had now regained their faith in me. Everyone was sitting in the cafeteria having lunch. Beside me Sterling was telling me how his dad reacted when he saw Amber again. 

"....and then he just dropped to his knees and started to cry. I know it's for show but lily and chase actually go scared."

"maybe it's not a show"

"so what you actually think he's changed?"

"maybe"

"it's cute that you think that" he kept on chuckling.

Once the day ends I decide to walk back since the weather is so good, Sterling joins me. We haven't gotten a chance to talk at all since we got back together. 

"So, what's up with you" he asks teasingly while he laces his fingers with mine.

I chuckle, for a few moments we both walk quietly and just before it starts to get awkward. 

"You finished the song." 

"Uhm, yeah I had a lot to think about, while you were gone" I smiled.

"It was good, I really liked it" 

"About your sister... I really didn't want to keep it from you, it's just that I didn't know how  to say it" I rambled.

Just then Sterling squeezed my hand , I looked up at him "We're okay. I promise" he spoke.

I sighed in relief.

By the time I reached home I saw Mr. Hartwell sitting on the porch. I rushed to him.

"Hey, What happened?" I asked, worriedly.

"She got us. All the evidence, somehow she managed to turn it against us. I warned you before what kind of person she is and you were foolish to not think consequences" 

"Well, isn't there anyway out of this?"

"There isn't! and even if there was I wouldn't want to be a part of it, you've put me and my family in jeopardy. My position has been compromised. So please, Ms. Walker do us all a favour and stay away from my family" He roared.

Flinching, I slumped on the porch as he stormed away. 

I felt hopeless now, Vivian had the will, the evidence against her was now gone and honestly I was tired of fighting. 

Opening the door I slumped on my couch and turned on the TV.

"It has been come to light that Mrs. Walker's biotech company has been shut down by the authorities after the evidence against her has turned up. The company was harbouring illegal substances and it has been discovered that many of the workers including the Co-founder of the company who had suddenly disappeared is the victim of skin cancer as she like the rest of the workers were exposed to radiations. People are agitated and threatening to sue-"

I turned off the T.V. and headed out again.

This had Olivia written all over it, I drove down to Caleb's place where like I had guessed everyone was sitting and watching the news. 

"Surprise" Caleb chuckled.

"What happened?"

"Well, after Justin told us what you were up to, I looked into it and knowing that it would blow up in our faces, I tried thinking of a back up plan." he trailed off

"So, I took matters into my own hands. I managed to gather some evidence that could expose Vivian's shady dealings. I contacted a few higher-ups, and we coordinated with the authorities to make it seem like they had uncovered everything themselves. It was a risky move, but it paid off."

I couldn't help but smile, grateful for the unexpected turn of events. "You guys did all this?"

Caleb grinned, "Nah, we got your back"

Sterling, who had been silent until now, squeezed my hand. 

"You could've told me earlier"

"and ruin their surprise? Not a chance in hell" he smirked.

Olivia raised her glass, "To taking down the bad guys!"

We all clinked our glasses together, the sound resonating with the shared victory. The conversation shifted to lighter topics, and soon we were engrossed in small talk and laughter. It was a stark contrast to the heaviness that had weighed on me just moments ago.

Caleb handed me a drink, saying, "You earned this. We all did."

We all stayed and watched the news as we celebrated the downfall of Vivian.

Later, as I sat on the couch chatting with Sterling. Just when I thought everything was falling apart, my friends had orchestrated a brilliant comeback. I was reminded that, with the right people by your side, even the darkest moments could lead to unexpected triumphs.

 We celebrated with laughter, music, and a sense of camaraderie that made me forget the recent confrontation with Mr. Hartwell. Even though we knew it wasn't over just yet, we all needed a night to cool off and just relax.  It was a much-needed respite.