Chapter 27: Birthday Party

Three days have passed since Olivia found out the truth about her mother. Xavier and Olivia visited her in the hospital, she told Xavier that her mother has stage two cancer and he broke down, now he's fighting back and saying he will take this to court so everyone knows what Vivian has been doing. 

Zander and Olivia were still in shock, but now their shock has changed into anger, and they want to bring Vivian down too, so we have devised a plan that how to get those evidential files. Caleb told us that there are more of these files, and to access them, we have to sneak past security first. The birthday party is our only chance to get those files, so while we are downstairs at the party, Zander, Olivia, and Amber will go upstairs and get those files. 

I'm doing touchups when I hear the doorbell ring, my aunt answers as I grab the red shawl, and with a final look in the mirror, I head downstairs. I decided to wear the red dress my mom wore when she was you- my foster mom. I found it in one of the cupboards in the library all packed and read, I made a few changes around the sleeve, made it with spaghetti straps, and deep back. I hold a flimsy red stole I made with the left out material I had. I slowly walk down the stairs, careful not to fall down, and Caleb and Sterling are talking to my aunt. Sterling does a double take when his eyes fall on me and they stay there, I maintain eye contact, I realise that I've been stating too long when Caleb snaps us back to reality and smiles and says, "You look beautiful." He helped me down the last few steps."

Aunt Carol takes out her phone and takes a picture of the three of us. There's a limo waiting for us when we step out. Jesse's head is sticking out of the sunroof while Katylin opens the limo door, giggling almost falling off the car. She's clearly drunk. Rolling my eyes, I jog towards the limo and slip inside, and Katylin closes the door behind me. I slide between Olivia and Justin, who is yanking Jesse's leg to get him down. The leather seats are comfortable and nice. There's also a whole section of snacks and drinks. Katylin has clearly helped herself to some. I lean forward and grab a strawberry covered in chocolates and pop it into my mouth. 

"This is amazing," I say, grinning

The rest of the ride we enjoy and talk and go through the plan one last time. Jesse is also happy to be here. He did call me and say he was feeling left out after I figured something was wrong with him because he was acting distant all of a sudden. 

The limo comes to a stop, and we exit the car. The place is brightly lit and decorated. We stand in front of the mansion, which is twice the size of Caleb's mansion. Once inside,  to the seats where our names are already written on a card in front of the seats.

Kaitlin started to sober up the two bottles of water I gave her helped. I look around and spot Vivian talking to Sterling's dad who is also here, Jesse is near the chocolate fountain  while Amber, Zander and Olivia are listening to Caleb carefully as he subtly tells them the directions to the study one last time. Caleb can't go because Vivian might take notice of his absence, I see my father slump in a chair in the corner, given up.

I sit up straight as the even starts there is some pianist playing then a two ballet dancers come on the stage and dance, once all that is over a singer comes up to the stage Caleb looks at me and nods. That was a signal for a distraction when it was needed. Without thinking I stand up and walk up to where the singer is waiting for her cue to sing as the pianist plays the melody when I reach her I take the mic from her while she's looking at my like I've lost it I shoo the pianist away. Taking his place I adjust my mic on the holder and start playing the melody of a song people start to get confused looking at each other I spot Olivia, Zander and Amber already sneaking out of the hall. Since I have already started I dot ave any intentions of stopping. My eyes land on Sterling, I smile, and he stares back at me. These past few days, I have been thinking about Sterling a lot after what Zander said to me. I knew I had to get him back. I start to sing, looking at him.

 🎶

🎶

Everyone started to applaud, but he sat there unmoving my smile dropped. I place the mic down and exited the halls I took a deep breath to suppress the tears that were welling up, I knew it wouldn't be that easy to get him back but I also didn't know that it would be this hard to take the rejection. Suddenly, I heard loud footsteps as if someone was running, and they got louder as they got close moments later. I saw Zander, Olivia, and Amber running towards me. "Run!" they shout, as they pass me, I see security chasing after them. 

I'm about to follow the three because the security is about to reach me when someone grabs my hand and pulls me with them, we are rushing downstairs before the person pulls me behind a wall I catch my breath as we lean against the cold marble, before I lose my cool and am about to snap at this person who suddenly out of no where took me away, until I see who he is. It's Sterling. 

"You? what-"

"Shh," he shushes me and steals a furtive glance, peering cautiously from the side as he conceals himself behind the wall.

Zander, Olivia, and Amber stand in front of Sterling's dad, who has his hands in his pocket he looks up to see the three of them, but his eyes stop on the first person, Am He looks at her wide-eyed but says nothing. Meanwhile, the security guards' footsteps go louder as they close in on them. 

I'm about to step in and call them over because Sterling's father isn't going to let them out when Sterling stops me and I look over to see our friends running past him as he steps aside and looks down, maybe ashamed. Once they are out of sight, he also tells security that no one is here. 

I sigh in relief and get a hold of the situation in front of me. Avoiding Sterling's eye, I move past him. 

"I'm sorry I know you want nothing to do with me and I put on a spot out there, I'm sorry" I mutter, not really in a mood to explain the whole 'I want you back' thing. 

"Wait" he yanks my arm back and I spin back to him, his lips land on mine my eyes widen in shock while his flutter close, slowly I sink into the kiss and closing my eyes I clutch his neck and then his hair, pulling them. The kiss gets heated, his hands clutching my waist, pulling me more into him. We pull back for air, gazing into each other's eyes.