Chapter 18: Arrangements

The sun shinned dimly on my front porch, and a light breeze brushed past me as I stepped out of my house, telling me the winter was already on its way. I sat on the front porch, waiting. My hand buried deep inside my jacket pockets. A few minutes later, I heard a tire of a car coming to a halt next second. The person honked, and I looked up to see my brother in his classy, fancy Porsche.

"Get in, sister," he said, his sunglasses matching the vibe of his car. Walking to the car, I struggled with the door giving up. I stood, annoyed. Just then, it opens up automatically upwards. I jumped back.

Rolling my eyes at my brother , who was smirking smugly as the door shut close once I was settled in and we drove off.

"Just filling you in, so everyone's already there, and Uncle Ben knows what to do first, so he'll tell us what that is, then we'll move forward with the plan,"

"uh huh" I say distractedly, fumbling with the radio till a very familiar song was playing.

Sin City's cold and empty (oh)No one's around to judge me (oh)I can't see clearly when you're goneI said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lightsNo, I can't sleep until I feel your touchI said, ooh, I'm drowning in the nightOh, when I'm like this, you're the one I trust(Hey, hey, hey)

I sing when Caleb joins in.

I'm running out of time

'Cause I can see the sun light up the sky

So I hit the road in overdrive, baby, ohThe city's cold and empty (oh)No one's around to judge me (oh)I can't see clearly when you're goneI said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lightsNo, I can't sleep until I feel your touchI said, ooh, I'm drowning in the nightOh, when I'm like this, you're the one I trustI'm just walking by to let you know (by to let you know)I can never say it on the phone (say it on the phone)Will never let you go this time (ooh)I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lightsNo, I can't sleep until I feel your touch(Hey, hey, hey)(Hey, hey, hey)I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lightsNo, I can't sleep until I feel your touch

We laughed as the song ended, and we had stopped singing.

"Wow, never thought a day like this would come, vibing to The Weekends with my brother?"

"Oh, are you gonna cry?" he teased.

"Oh shut up," I shoved him.

You know those houses you see in movies with rich British guys owning these huge mansions? yea, i'm seeing that right now.

The steel gates on the entrance opened up automatically, and we drove down to a grey gravel path with extensive gardens on both sides of it. the path first led to a gorgeous fountain. The sculptures in the fountain were two dragons pouring water out of their mouths. The grey roads were divided around the fountain, and they continued to the entrance gate of the mansion.

My brother had gotten out of the car and had walked to my side while I was still drooling over the beauty of the place. Opening the door for me, he offered me his hand, swatting it away. I got out and slammed the door shut. He chuckled.

"This is yours? all of it?"

"Yes, and yes. It came with the company so.... yes, I guess. "

"neat"

We were the last ones to arrive I was to busy staring at the massive living room that when I looked around at my friends and my eyes land on him I cringed internally, but as I winced it gave it all away.

Yanking Caleb's suit's sleeve, I pulled him to a side as he leaned to my height, smiling around the room, convincing people that nothing was wrong, when it was quite the opposite.

"What is he doing here?" I whispered harshly.

"Who? oh, Sterling? Amber wanted him in, and he was very persistent with not being here today, but Amber is just too stubborn. You can't win."

I sighed and slumped on the couch, crossing my arms. The couch next to me bounced, and Olivia crashed next to me while Katylin leaned on the headrest of the couch. I smiled in relief, I got my girls.

Uncle Ben entered the room and announced his presence by clapping twice.

"All right, people, let's get down to business."

"So, the first thing we have to do to find the first clue is go to an auction. and how do I know that? well, I just do. Anywho, there's this auction house in Philly, and why Philly? because the painting of the girl with the amulet is there and we need to buy it at all costs. it is the part of this quest."

Uncle Ben turned the lights off and turned on the projector. There was a picture of a painting on the wall that the projector showed. The girl long, dark, wavy hair cascaded down her back, and she looked young, probably like thirteen or fourteen. She had vibrant blue eyes, a beautiful pink flower in her hair, her dress was white with little flowers on them, her cheekbones high with a little blush, round full lips she looked a younger and prettier version of me. Finally, the amulet that Hung from her neck falling right in the hollow of her neck, between her sharp collarbones.

"Okay, why that painting?" I asked.

"The girl in this picture was your grandmother, Florence. This painting, your grandfather used to say, was the first time he fell in love with her. He painted this for her, but it got lost somehow during the Vietnam War. The first clue might be somewhere around this painting, so we'll be heading for Philly in three days and going to this auction to get this painting." he finished.

"I'll make the arrangements," my brother stood up from one of the chairs in the back to make calls.

"Vay-Kay!" Justin hollered.

"I was thinking that we could leave a few days early and have some fun before the auction?" Amber suggested.

"Yeah, I like that, I could use a break from college, honestly," Olivia said as I continued to ignore Amber. Suddenly everyone was up for the idea of going a few days early, well, everyone except for Sterling I could tell from his face that he wanted to protest so hard but he would rather not speak at all. Caleb booked our flights for tomorrow evening.

"So, we will be leaving for the airport in the afternoon so we won't miss our flight. I'll pick up Florence and Uncle Ben. The rest of you meet us at the airport at 3 since our flight is at five o'clock. Get ready, guys, because we're going on a trip." Everyone cheered.