Chapter 17: Terrace

"Florence, a moment please," the teacher called.

Half the class was already out the door as soon the bell rang, I was packing my stuff when my calculus teacher called me.

"Shit," I mumbled and continued to pack, only very slowly. Afterward, I hung the slung my bad on my shoulder and dragged my feet to the front of the class. She was waiting for me, looking down at a paper. taking a peek, it was my calculus test. A "D" it said. The letter was burning a hole in my mind. I swallowed.

"Florence, is something going on at home?"

Hmm, well lets see, the people who raised me aren't my real parents, my biological parents wants me dead and my grandfather left me his company in his will, which is hidden in a place no one knows and only way to find it is to solve a scavenger hunt. And to top it off, Sterling's dead sister is following me around along with her boyfriend, who is also my brother. Also, apparently, our parents, along with Olivia's parents and my foster parents, were good friends, I have no idea how. Somehow, all of our friends' parents were also friends. I have to find out their connection. I thought.

"No, everything is fine at home,"

"Then why are your grades dropping? You need to get this signed by your aunt," handing me my test.

Hanging my head low, I walked out of the class. The D was now engraved in my head now. I have a pretty decent idea how my aunt is going to take this, I may have to cook today.

"How was Cal adv." Kaitlin asked.

"it sucked, got a D"

"Shit, what are gonna do?"

"Trick my aunt into signing, gotta go I have Literature."

"Later" 

I was walking up the stairs when I saw Sterling, so much had happened since our fight, and I wanted to tell him everything, although it was too late for that. He caught me staring and started to walk the other way. 

"Wait," wishing on my lucky stars, he would.

To my surprise, he stopped in his tracks, my mouth worked faster than my brain to come up with something to say.

"I really want to tell you why I did, what I did. please. meet me after school, on the terrace, and I'll tell you everything, " I finished. He waited a second longer after I finished and then walked away. A lump in my throat started to form. I shook my head to snap out of it and went to Literature. 

"Alright, guys, have a great summer break," the teacher announced.

As soon as the bell rang, I dashed out of the class, dumping all my books in my locker. I pushed my way to the terrace. It was empty, I jogged around the terrace just to confirm, but it was empty. I knew he wasn't gonna show, but a part of me hoped he would. 

I slumped against the wall, waiting. Fifteen minutes had passed, but it felt I had been waiting too long. The thought of him showing up after I left made me wait more. Half an hour later, I stood up, brushing myself. I slung my bag on my shoulder. Just then, the terrace door slammed open, a very frantic Sterling looked around, panting. his eyes landed on me, relief washed over his face before he had that cold look on his face again.

I started towards him before I realised that we weren't on good terms yet. I backed off.

"You showed up?"

"I don't have much time, just .... tell me why"

"I am really sorry for what I did to you. I never meant to hurt you. it just wasn't my place to say anything in the first place. Your sister started following me moths before, at first I was scared of what she might do and who might've send her, I couldn't do anything else but wait for her next move, she broke into my house, that's when, found a strand of her hair stuck on the hinge of my bedroom window, after I had given Guy the hair for testing. week after, when the results came in, I was shocked and didn't know what to do. So, I hid the fact that I knew my stalker was your sister who had died in a car accident along with your mother but somehow shows up alive at my doorstep after being dead for so many years. But when that secret became too much for me, I asked her to-no a begged her to tell you, and then you walked in, and rest remains history. Sterling, I found out that my brother and your sister were working together just recently, the fact that I have a brother is quite overwhelming for me too, but when I found out that she was your sister I wanted to tell you immediately but I couldn't, it wouldn't have been fair to your sister."

Sterling scoffed at me.

"What?"

"'it wouldn't have been fair to my sister?' If you were so worried about fairness and the right thing to do, you could've just told your boyfriend about the sister he had lost when he was just a kid. no, you wanted to hide this. I don't know what your messed up reason is, but I know it is just selfish and just for your benefit." he spat

"What? No! I would never-

"You would never what? do something to hurt everybody around you? news flash Florence, you already did. Stay the hell away from me." 

with that, he picked up his bag and stormed out, slamming the door behind him and making me flinch. Leaving me alone once again. 

I sat on the terrace for hours, thinking, crying, and cursing Sterling for being a jerk. 

It was late when I realised I should. probably head home, I exited the school premises.

The street lamps blinked on, the sun had already set, and the skies were turning darker and darker blue slowly as we headed into the night as the cold crept up to me, I shivered. shoving my hands in my jeans pockets as I rushed home to my cozy blanket.