thirty nine

warnings: mentions of torture, blood, all that jazz

○●○●○●○●○●○

True to her word, when Merla woke up Hermione was right there next to her. Except she was asleep and curled up in a ball next to her in a love seat. There was a book scrawled across her legs that was slowly sliding down her lap.

Merla took a moment to take in the room she was in. There was three beds, hers, the one across from hers and one with a sleeping ginger in it. Her back was stiff from laying down for the first time in weeks. 

She tried to call out for Hermione but her throat felt dry. She tried to sit up but her body refused. Falling back, she began to wheeze in pain. Her struggle woke up Hermione in a start. "Merla." Hermione stood up, the book in her lap fell to the floor. "What's wrong?"

Her eyes scanned the room again. Where is he? "Whe-" She swallowed her dry throat. "Where is Duri?" She tried to sit up again but Hermione softly pushed her back into the bed. 

"He's alive. His family came and took him back to Korea." She pushed Merla back down as she tried to sit up once again. "He wasn't able to say goodbye- his family was very worried I hope you can understand." 

Merla put her hand on top of Hermione's. "I need water." Hermione reached over Merla and grabbed the glass of water from the bedside table. She drank slowly as instructed by Hermione. "What is that?" Merla tilted her head away from Hermione who held up a healing potion. 

"Mrs. Weasley told me to make sure you drink this when you wake up. It's good for you, I promise." Merla grabbed the vile from Hermione's hands. "It won't kill you." Hermione tried to lighten the mood. Merla chugged the potion, a slight burning sensation burned her throat. Maybe she was just dehydrated.

Hermione's eyes landed on the bruises showing over Merla's hands and reaching down her sleeve past her wrist. Merla pulled her sleeve down and moved it out of Hermione's sight. "Merla..."

"Don't." Merla turned her head away from Hermione. Her eyes landed on a letter propped up against a lamp on her bedside table. She recognized the writing of her father on the letter. "What is that?"

Reaching forward, her body resisted but her mind was in a frenzy. She inspected the letter and tore it open. She gave Hermione a look, silently asking for some privacy. 

"They found it tucked into your back pocket." Hermione stood up and turned on the lamp. "I'll go get you some more water." She watched her leave and shut the door.

Dear Merlaine,

If you are reading this letter then something drastic must have happened. In the circumstances following whatever event must have led you to finding and reading this letter, I hope all is well. I will put it plain and simple. Narcissa and I are not your parents.