Chapter Forty Eight - No Man Left Behind

After escaping from Ironwood, Pip quickly began making his way to the town square of Mantle where the Wild Geese were pinned down by a squadron of Atlesian Droids. Pip quickly makes his way to the cockpit.

Pip: Our boys need help down there! Light up those rust buckets like a Christmas tree!

Wild Geese Pilot: Copy that, Captain!

The Wild Geese helicopter then fires a volley of bullets at the Atlesian Droids. Once the Droids were cleared, the Helicopter lands near the town square. 

Wild Geese Lieutenant: About time you showed up, Captain! 

Pip: Cut the chatter, soldier! Where's Qrow?

Wild Geese Lieutenant: Qrow was helping Clover and Robyn take that crazy bastard Callows to a prison transport. 

Pip: Shit! Which way did they go?

Wild Geese Grunt: They were heading towards the Academy, but it crashed just outside the Mantle. 

Pip: Everyone on me! We've got to get Qrow and Robyn out before more of Ironwood's men show up!

With that, Pip and the Wild Geese rushed to where the airship crashed. It led them to a tundra outside Mantle where Qrow and Clover were in a standoff with Qrow standing over Clover.

Qrow: Why couldn't you just do the right thing instead of the thing you were told?

Clover puts his hand to his stomach and gets up on one knee, looking at Qrow. Pip and the Wild Geese quickly joined Qrow's side. The Wild Geese Helicopter hovered above them. 

Clover: Sometimes the right decision is the hardest to make. I trust James with my life!

He gets to his feet. The rest of the Wild Geese kept their weapons trained on Clover. Pip gestured them to hold their fire.

Clover: I wanted to trust you.

Pip: Listen to me, Clover. I know you want to stay loyal to Ironwood. You're a soldier who respects the chain of command. But you also seem like a smart man. You should know what kind of man you're about to follow. Right now, Ironwood is preparing to take Atlas and abandon everyone on Remnant just for a chance at survival. Are you really going to just sit by and watch as millions of people are going to be left to fend for themselves? 

Clover: A mercenary giving me a lecture on morality. Kind of ironic, isn't it? 

Clover chuckles at the irony of what was happening. 

Clover: You're a good man, Captain. Same goes for you, Qrow. I...I just wished we were all on the same side. 

Qrow: We are on the same side, Clover. Jimmy may be too blind to see it, but you don't have to be. 

Suddenly, Qrow's sword is thrust forward, and Clover bends back, yelping in pain. Blood splatters onto the snow. Tyrian has plunged Harbinger straight through Clover's back. Qrow stares in shock, while Tyrian chuckles and pulls the sword from Clover's body. Pip and the Wild Geese were taken aback as they raised their weapons. Clover stumbles forward, dripping blood onto the snow. His clover pin falls from his shirt. He drops to the ground, panting, and turns over onto his back, covering the snow beneath him in a puddle of his blood. Tyrian takes a few steps forward and rests Harbinger across his shoulders.

Tyrian: Doesn't look like your friend's going to make it.

Qrow glares at Tyrian.

Qrow: I'LL KILL YOU!!

Tyrian: Oh, you mean... like you just killed Clover?

He chuckles and throws the sword down onto the snow. Qrow looks down at his bloodied sword with wide eyes, then glares at Tyrian. Pip and the Wild Geese quickly fired on Tyrian, but he was able to get to cover. The sound of an airship engine approaches, and Tyrian looks to the sky.

Tyrian: Ah, here they come. Right on time.

A Manta flies overhead from Mantle. Pip and the Wild Geese took cover as they focused on the Manta. Qrow screams and charges toward Tyrian, attempting to punch him, but Tyrian jumps away. Tyrian poses and gestures as he speaks.

Tyrian: Ah, looks like our score will have to wait. You know my track record with the authorities!

Tyrian runs away, laughing, and Qrow runs after him for a few steps before stopping and looking at Clover. He looks at Tyrian, then runs to Clover and drops to his knees beside him. It begins snowing.

Clover: Someone had to take the fall.

Qrow: James will take the fall. I'll make sure of it.

The tundra slowly begins to light up as they speak, and Clover looks off toward the sunrise on the horizon. Qrow turns to look, as well.

Clover: Good luck.

Qrow turns to look down at Clover, who is smiling at him. The light in his eyes fades away, as does his smile. Qrow begins to cry and screams out in emotional pain. At the same time, the helicopter began to take heavy fire. 

Wild Geese Pilot: Captain! We're taking heavy fire! We gotta get the hell out of here!

Pip then runs towards the grieving Qrow. 

Pip: Qrow! Qrow! On your feet, Qrow! We need to get Robyn and get the hell out of here! 

Qrow: Go. Get your men out of here. 

Pip: Don't even think about it, Qrow! No man left behind!

Qrow: There's no time for that, Pip! Just....promise me that you'll keep Ruby and Yang safe....

Pip paused as he had little time to think. If he didn't make a decision now, the Wild Geese would be doomed. Realizing that attempting to talk Qrow down was pointless, Pip clenched his fists. 

Pip: I....I will. But don't you even think about dying. We're taking that bastard Callows together. 

With that, Pip was forced to leave Qrow. Pip and the rest of the Wild Geese got on board the Wild Geese Helicopter. The Helicopter was barely able to escape with Pip watching as Qrow and Robyn were arrested by Atlesian Forces. In that moment, the Wild Geese were forced to retreat.