Chapter Forty - A Night Off

After constant missions and vigorous training sessions, Pip and the Wild Geese along with Ruby's Group were granted a night off. The group decided to attend a party celebrating the election win of Robyn Hill. On the way to the party, Ren discusses the threat of Salem.

Ren: We spent so much time worrying about how Ironwood will react to the truth about her, but have any of us considered how we're even going to beat her if we manage to work past that?

Nora: Jinn said she can't be beaten.

Ruby: Jinn told Oz that he couldn't destroy her.

Nora: But maybe someone else could?

Pip: Nora's got a point. Maybe there's more to Jinn's words than we thought. Words can sometimes have different meanings. Damn riddles and all that.

Blake: What do you mean by that?

Pip: As Ruby said, Jinn told Ozpin that he couldn't destroy her. Perhaps that means that he is not meant to destroy her. Perhaps that responsibility belongs to another. Maybe we're the ones who will get the job done.

Ren: But how do we know this?

Pip: I guess we'll know when the time comes. 

Ren: We should be training right now.

Nora: We've trained enough! Take some time to--

Ren: We don't have time!

The situation soon became tense as Ren and Nora became frustrated with each other. It was at this point that the group split up. Blake and Yang would go to a club while Weiss, Oscar and Jaune go to a movie. Pip and a small squad stay with the rest of the group while the rest of the Wild Geese went to a nearby brothel. As they arrive at the party, they are greeted by Penny.

Penny: Penny: Ruby, Nora, Ren, Captain Bernadotte!

Ruby: Hey, Penny.

Penny: I am so glad you made it. It's just Marrow and I tonight, so more friends means more fun. Where are the others?

Nora: Weiss is out with the boys, and Blake and Yang are off doing their own thing...again.

Ren: At least they're back to being friends.

Nora: Friends, huh? Just friends?

Pip: Hey. Settle down, you two. Jimmy gave us this night off to wind down. We won't get many other days like these. Let's not waste them bickering among ourselves.

Ren: I thought you of all people were taking this seriously. I guess I was wrong.

Pip: Nothing wrong with enjoying yourself every once in a while. Life's far too short to take everything so seriously.

Ren simply remained silent as the group entered the building and attended the victory party for Robyn Hill where it was projected that she would win the council seat. As the guests mingled with one another, Pip simply observed the party. Soon enough, he spoke with Ruby who appeared stressed out.

Pip: What's wrong, Ruby?

Ruby: Uncle Pip, are we doing the right thing?

Pip: We're doing the best that we can with what we are given, Kiddo. That is all any of us can do.

Ruby: Do you think Ren's right? Are we just wasting our time?

Pip: Maybe, but it doesn't change the fact that Remnant needs us. Salem and her allies are plotting against us as we speak. We've gotten this far. If we turned back now, then everything we have sacrificed to get to this point will have been for nothing. But we're here. I for one am eager to put a bullet in Salem's head. And if that don't work, I got plenty of bullets to spare.

With Pip's words, Ruby found her confidence. Despite not knowing what would happen, Ruby felt confident that she would lead her allies through the journey. Pip then continued to observe the party as he was served a drink. Soon enough, Pip spoke with Robyn Hill.

Pip: Congratulations on your victory, Robyn. You must be very proud.

Robyn: I didn't do this for the glory, Pip. I did this to help the people of Mantle. The people here need someone to help them since Ironwood doesn't give a damn about them.

Pip chuckled as he lights himself a cigarette.

Robyn: Still smoking those things, Pip? They'll kill you.

Pip: Wouldn't that look good on my epitaph? "Pip Bernadotte: Captain of the Wild Geese. Brought down not by Grimm or bullets, but a dangerous habit." Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, huh?

Robyn: What the hell are you doing here, Pip?

Pip: Funny. I was about to ask you the same thing. I never thought you'd be brave enough for politics.

Robyn chuckles as she glances at the crowd that had been gathered to celebrate her victory.

Robyn: Things will change in Atlas, Pip.

Pip: If anyone has the will to make that happen, then it'd be you, Mon Cher.

Robyn: Maybe in another life, you could've been a part of our crew. 

Pip: Tempting offer, but I'm content with where I am. 

Soon enough, Fiona Thyme addresses the crowd.

Fiona: I want to thank everyone for going to the polls today. This is Mantle's moment. I know that, like me, you're all thrilled that we chose Robyn as our voice in Atlas. No one has fought harder for Mantle than she has. And...I know Robyn will continue that fight on the Council. Will you share a few words?

Robyn soon takes center stage and addresses the crowd who began to applaud for her.

Robyn: I've never been much for public speaking, probably wasn't my best idea ever to go into politics. Thank you so much, everyone, for choosing me. You said you believe in me. But I'm the one who believes in all of you. You've proven to me that as individuals, we are strong. But together, we're unstoppable. So no matter what happens tonight, win or lose, we will continue to fight for our city, because it is this city that brings us together.

As the results of the election are about to be announced, Ruby notices a hooded figure among the crowd. A prosthetic tail could be seen on the individual. At the same time, Pip notices the same individual. Before Pip and Ruby could intercept the individual, the lights in the room suddenly shut off. In that moment, a threat would soon reveal itself.