Chapter Forty Four - Out In The Open

After the arrest of Jacques Schnee, riots erupt in Mantle due to the shutdown of the heating grid. It wasn't long before all of Mantle had descended into chaos. This naturally draws large groups of Grimm who attack the city. In response to this, Domino Squad along with Ruby's group and the Ace-Ops were deployed to aid Mantle in fending off the Grimm. Inside their helicopter, Pip and the Wild Geese readied their weapons as Clover contacts them via their communicators.

Clover(Communicator): Alright, everyone. I need to stress to our new Huntsmen and Huntresses, we are prioritizing citizen safety over killing Grimm. Got it?

Pip: Sounds like another day at the office. We'll try to not upstage your kids, Clover.

Harriet(Communicator): Typical. And I thought these guys were supposed to be the elite.

Clover(Communicator): Harriet, cut the chatter. We've got a job to do and so does the Wild Geese. Good luck out there.

Pip: Likewise.

As the communications ended, Pip and the Wild Geese loaded up their weapons and gathered their equipment as the helicopter made it's way to the mission sight. The lights inside the gunship dimmed down to a dark red color.

Wild Geese Pilot: Red lights, standby. 30 seconds.

Pip: Alright, boys! Lock and load

With that, Pip and the Wild Geese readied themselves for battle. The sounds of civilian screams could be heard from the outside. They have done missions like these hundreds of times. But this time, there was a sense of inherit danger to this mission. There was much at stake. Despite this, the Wild Geese were ready. When the doors were open, Pip and the Wild Geese rappelled down.

Pip: GO GO GO!

The Wild Geese were immediately attacked by a group of Grimm. Civilians could be seen running for their lives.

Pip: Let's get some supporting fire on those civilians! Don't let the Grimm get too close!

Wild Geese Grunt: You don't have to tell me twice! All right, you ugly bastards!

A group of Wild Geese began firing at the Grimm, covering Pip and the rest of the Wild Geese while they help the civilians. The streets became a war zone as the Wild Geese fought wave after wave of Grimm while helping the civilians to an Atlas gunship.

Pip: Keep moving, everyone! The gunship will take you to a safe zone!

Wild Geese Lieutenant: We'll keep you safe! Don't stop!

As Pip covered the civilians, a mother approached the two ARC Troopers.

Mother: P...please! My daughter....she's missing! We got separated when the Grimm attacked! I can't find her!

Pip: Where did you last see her?!

Mother: By our home! It's just down the street! Please hurry! She's all I have!

Pip: I'll find her! The rest of you keep the Grimm off of me!

Wild Geese Lieutenant: We got your back, Captain!

Wild Geese Grunt: We'll try to leave some Grimm for you!

With that, Pip splits off from the group to find the woman's daughter. Terrified civilians ran past Pip as he searched the streets for the mother's daughter. As he moves further up the street, he could hear the crying of a little girl. He looks around to see a building under heavy attack from Grimm. Without hesitation, Pip charges inside the building with Grimm following him inside. Pip manages to barricade the door, but knows it's only a matter of time before the Grimm break in. Knowing that time was short, Pip searches the building with haste.

Pip: Where are you?! I'm going to get you out of here! It'll be all right!

As Pip calls out for the little girl, the sounds of her crying grew louder. When he reaches the girl's room, he sees the girl hiding under her bed. He immediately runs to the little girl.

Pip: I'm here to help!

Little Girl: The monsters....they're coming!

Pip: I won't let them hurt you. They'll have to get through me.

Little Girl: Are you...are you going to make the monsters go away?

Pip: I'm getting you out of here. I'm going to get you back to your mom. Stay close to me.

As Pip said this, roaring could be heard outside. It was clear that the Grimm were about to get in.

Pip: Listen to me. I need you to be very brave. I'm going to get you out of here. Get on my back and hold tight.

With that, the little girl jumped on Fives's back as the Wild Geese captain readies his Revolver. The little girl held on tight as he fought through the Grimm that had breeched the house. Meanwhile, the Wild Geese continued to load up the civilians onto the Atlas Gunship.

Wild Geese Grunt: We could use an airstrike right about now! Where the hell is the Captain?!

Wild Geese Lieutenant: He'll be here! Focus on these Grimm!

Soon enough, Pip came back with the little girl on his back. The little girl jumped off upon seeing her mother.

Little Girl: Mommy!

The little girl ran to her mother and the two hugged each other tightly. Soon enough, all the civilians were loaded onto the Atlas Gunship.

Pip: Everyone's on! Let's move!

The Wild Geese provided covering fire as they entered the gunship. Once they got on, the gunship took off. They soon made their way to the safe zone. Pip and the Wild Geese soon began escorting the civilians to the landing pad so that they may be evacuated to Atlas. As all this happened, a broadcast of Ironwood and Robyn Hill revealed the existence of the Amity Tower Project. What Pip and the Wild Geese didn't know was that this attack was only a taste of what was to come.