Chapter 24 : Impending Battle - 1

Drip.

Drops of water trickled from the ceiling.

The droplet hit Rimuru's eyes, causing them to twitch.

His brows furrowed as he slowly opened his eyes, and the soreness in his body made him groan. His golden eyes met in the dark room.

'Where?..' He felt confused and nauseous.

He looked around, his head moving sideways. But as he did, he felt something restraining his movements. Looking closely, he noticed that a thick tangle of vines encircled him.

He attempted to struggle and escape, but the vines also bound his arms. And as if something was taking his strength out of him, his body was weakening.

After adjusting his golden irises and pupils to every corner of his eyes, he saw that tiny, vine-like roots had become lodged in his cheeks from his temples.

His gaze narrowed until it took him a while to realize he was in this dark room, tied upside down.

'So that's why I feel nauseous..'

The vines and roots covering every part of his body gave him a strange feeling. Based on the aura, it appeared that the vines were under the control of someone or something.

'Great Sage'  He called out in his mind, to which it immediately responded.

{'Analyzing...10%.. 34%.. 67%.. 99%..  Analysis complete.}

Rimuru smiled, although it appeared weak on his face. He felt relieved that the Great Sage was still with him, unlike what he had seen in his dream.

'Where am I?' 

{You are currently located in an underground building where the infestation of monsters has occurred.} The Great Sage complied with his question.

"Infestation of what?"

Rimuru's POV

I wiggled my body to break off the vines that wrapped me whole. But as I did, strength was drained out of me.

"Should I just burn these vines off my body?" I said in annoyance.

{ I recommend using the skill 'Black Lightning', to break free and make an opening to escape this place.}

I nodded at the Great Sage's suggestion and closed my eyes. I stopped my body movements and focused my power.

[The exclusive skill, 'Dark Lightning Lvl.3' has been activated!]

Bolts of dark lightning crackled its spark around my vine-wrapped body. The sound intensified as I focused more and more on the skill, then released the energy on a whim.

A crackling, chilling sound echoed around the area. The lightning descended from the sky down to this underground building, piercing through every floor until it reached the last floor and underground, where I was.

I couldn't brace myself from the impact of my own skill, so I expected it to at least damage me.

The lightning finally hit my body, wrapping me in its beam. The scorching heat reached 1,000 degrees Celsius, making the area around me melt from its heat and impact.

[The exclusive skill, 'Heat Resistance Lvl.3' has been activated!]

'Nice save!..'

Even the small particles of debris weren't spared from the dark lightning. For all of it to melt, the ground, the walls, the ceiling, and my skin weren't excluded.