Chapter 36

*Oreliell*

"What's on your mind?"

Oreliell glanced over at Thorin, who was seated at his desk. He appeared to be combing through various stacks of papers, but she knew that he was still quite attuned to her.

Oreliell sighed.

"I don't know," she said. "I just feel as though something is wrong."

Thorin put down his papers and turned in his chair to face her.

"What makes you say that?"

Oreliell hesitated. She wondered if her concerns were simply in her mind, that she was fabricating something out of nothing.

Thorin stood from his seat and joined her by the large window. He took her hand, prompting her to look at him. The sun had barely risen over the horizon, yet the early morning glow cast a brilliant orange across the study.

"It is far too early to see your face so troubled, gimlelul. You must tell me when something is weighing on you. I cannot read your mind. I leave that job to you sister."

Oreliell smiled slightly at his attempt to jest, but sighed.

"It is actually Vedis I am worried about. I have not been able to find her."

"It is still early in the day."

"Vedis rises earlier than the sun. She always has. Last night, something seemed to be troubling her at dinner. Then during the night, I heard her leave her room. When I checked this morning, she still was not there."

"Have you tried calling for her?"

"Many times. She has not responded."

"Is it possible she is simply out of reach?"

"Erebor may be vast, but we have yet to find a distance where she cannot reach me."

Before Thorin could say anything more, there was an almost frantic knock at the door. The two exchanged glances of confusion.

"Enter," Throin called.

The door opened slightly and a dwarf popped his head inside.

"Ori?" Oreliell said.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you," he said.

"Nonsense, Ori. What is it?" Thorin asked.

"There's... well, there's been a situation in the throne room."

Thorin's brow furrowed.

"What kind of situation?"

"It's best if you see for yourself."

Thorin sighed, but nodded. He looked at Oreliell.

"We will deal with this, then I will help you find Vedis," he said.