Chapter 22

*Oreliell*

Oreliell sighed as she splashed water on her face

Oreliell sighed as she splashed water on her face. She glanced up at the mirror in front of her. Her eyes were still just a little red, but it was less noticeable now. She had managed to fix her hair and braided it out of her face in an attempt to look put together.

She was grateful for the company that Fili and Kili provided. Thorin's state was taking its toll on her. She hated to see him like this, so driven by greed that he could not function normally. He was not the same dwarf she had known and fallen in love with, let alone the same dwarf she had risked her freedom for in Mirkwood.

Oreliell took a deep breath to steady herself as she wiped her face dry. She would just have to take one day at a time until she could figure out a way to help him.

She stepped out of the room she had found, only to almost run into Bilbo.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Oreliell," he said. "I didn't see you there."

"That's quite all right, Bilbo." She looked at him for a moment. "Are you all right?"

"Um, actually, could I talk with you?"

Oreliell nodded. She followed Bilbo down the hall. They stopped near the records room and sat on one of the benches outside. Oreliell looked down at the hobbit, noticing that he seemed a little anxious. She stayed quiet, knowing that Bilbo would share when he was ready.

"What is that?" Oreliell glanced to the side and stood up quickly as Thorin approached. "In your hand!"

"It's- it's nothing," Bilbo said.

"Show me," Thorin demanded.

Bilbo stuttered for a moment before lifting his hand, his fingers uncurled to reveal an acorn. Oreliell glanced at it before looking at Thorin.

"I picked it up in Beorn's garden," Bilbo said.

Thorin's expression softened a little.

"You've carried it all this way?"

"I'm going to plant it in my garden. In Bag End."

"It's a poor prize to take back to the Shire."

"One day, it'll grow," Bilbo said. "And everytime I look at it, I'll remember. Remember what happened, the good, the bad. And how lucky I am that I made it home."

Thorin smiled. Oreliell smiled back. She hadn't seen him smile in so long... It made warmth bloom in her chest.

Bilbo chuckled a little and shuffled his feet.

"Thorin," he said. "I-"

Oreliell looked up when she heard heavy footsteps quickly approaching.

"Thorin," Dwalin called. "Survivors from Lake-town. They're streaming into Dale."