Breaking Step, Chapter 44

Start from the beginning

Beyond the weapons themselves, some had their knife's scabbard filled with a liquid thick with corruption. It reminded him that one of the items on his ever-growing list was finding a way to get his hand on varying poisons so he could learn to recognize them by the composition of their essence. He also wanted to test if removing the corruption was all it took to make them harmless. He suspected not. Even without corruption, alcohol could affect his judgment if he drank too much of it.

"You," A woman called from within the crowd, and Tibs felt the metal spoon she threw. He turned and with a flick of the finger, water lanced from the floor at the silver spoon before it hit him. He let it float there as the water formed a sphere around it, then plucked it out and placed it on the table.

Not as much applause this time.

"Come on," Lamberto whispered.

Stifling another sigh, Tibs bowed, and the applause increased.

Nobles and their stupid customs.

He watched servants enter, carrying trays, as he ate a piece of crustless bread coated with a sweet and sour jam. Maybe now he'd get to have actual—

No. Only more platters with tiny breads to replace the empty ones.

A servant caught his attention as he reached for one with thin slices of meat and cheese on it. It wasn't the darkness in her. She had more than the other servants, but compared to everyone else? And secrets didn't mean bad intentions. It was how attentive she was to the room, instead of those before the tables. She was discreet, but Tibs knew the work of a rogue; of a thief, in this case. She had no essence, and he didn't recognize her from any of the Runners.

Her presence annoyed him. It meant he'd get blamed for whatever she'd do. He'd have to deal with the commander again when the nobles complained. He might spend time in a cell again, and Irdian would make sure it was on the day before his team's run.

He needed to increase measures to catch any thief that made it past the guards. Maybe if he explained his rules to them, they wouldn't make his life too difficult.

He let her be, returning to eating something from a different plate. A red slice of some vegetable with cheese on it, this time. Maybe she was good enough, her target wouldn't realize they'd been robbed.

"You need to meet Lord Marton," Lamberto said eagerly, and Tibs nodded. Again, the boy paraded him before another noble. Explained who Tibs was, his element, then offered for the man to test him.

The noble acted impressed. He didn't voice it, so Tibs couldn't tell how honest it was, but the man had to have seen Tibs's previous demonstrations. He expected that as the host's son, Lamberto was due the same reverence as his father, and the boy seemed intent on taking full advantage of it.

A noble threw another plate. Tibs caught it, and the woman politely clapped before engaging Lamberto in conversation. Something about his plans for after...

Tibs was far enough not to hear the rest. He was glad to be away from the boy, finally; and the food table still called to him.

"I must admit this is one of Theodore's better event," a man with his back to Tibs said once he was next to the table.

"I agree," the woman with him said, her attention on the food. "I can't recall the last time I was this entertained."

"The man has always been clever. For him to turn his problems at home into an opportunity.... Well, that's just like him. Where else could he get such entertainment for nothing more than saying he'd buy a home and have his children live here. He had to do it, regardless."