Chapter 2: Apology ? Or Not.

The next day, as expected, I was standing in front of our dean. Erum was sitting on his chair. Yep, when i say she has wrapped everyone around her little finger, I mean it.

"What were you thinking while shouting at our trustee?" Mr. Vyom Malhotra said.

Oopsie. Yesterday after I shouted at our 'trustee', I left the stage like my ass was on fire. When I went to get Erum from Misbah, I could see Vyom marching towards me.
Prashvi was doing some damage control on the stage, as the chief guests seemed angry. Before he could get me, I ran with Erum in my arms. I know childish but well.

Vyom snapped his fingers in front of me and I blinked. I opened my mouth to give some stupid excuse, but he cut me off. Rude.

"No, I am not listening to any of your nonsense. You need to apologise. Or else the board will take an action against you." He said in monotone. I could say he was pissed at me. But the board seriously ? Itni choti si baat ke liye board ko kyu ghusna hai ?

"But sir, will you at least listen to me?" I said desperately. I couldn't afford to lose my job here.

"I'll listen to everything you have to say after you've apologised to him. You can go now." I've never heard him speak to anyone in this tone let alone me. The guy must be really important then.

I sighed and went to get Erum who was asleep on the chair after nodding at him.

"Let her be. I'll make her sleep on the couch." Vyom said looking a Erum.

"And be in my office at 2:30. I've asked Mr. Mohammed for a meeting and he agreed. Don't be late." I heard Vyom say as I was leaving.

"Yes sir." I said mock saluting at him. He just shook his head at me.
____________________________________________

It was 2:40 when i reached Vyom's office, I had to check few papers. I know I'm late but bleh. I ignored the presence sitting in the visitors chair and bent down to the couch where Erum was sleeping. I moved the hairs from her face and kissed her forehead.

"Aayra." Vyom said getting my attention. I moved to sit next to Mr. Mohammed, still ignoring his presence, by the way.

"Meet Mr. Subhan Mohammed..." I lost him the moment he said Subhan and turned to look at him. My eyes locked with his, and my heart.. well my heart broke into millions of pieces just like it did 10 years ago. I couldn't believe there is something left in my chest for him. I felt beads of sweat forming on my forehead. Why was he here after these many years ? Was it a coincidence that he is here in the same city as me ? Of course it had to be, right ? My mind was in full swing with all these assumptions.

Ya Allah, ab yeb kaisi azmaish hai ? Ab aur kya hona reh gaya hai mere zindagi mein ?

"It can't be you, right ?" I stood up abruptly, my legs shaking.

"I.."

"No, no. It can't be you." I said cutting off whatever he was trying to say. Vyom and Subhan both got up their chair, and Subhan took a step towards me, but I put my hand in front me warning him not to.

I carried Erum, who had woken up and was looking at the scene, and stormed off the room without looking back.
I heard Vyom calling after me, saying me to stop, but I didn't. I reached the parking lot, and buckled Erum in the passenger seat. I settled in the drivers seat as well and drove off. Usually the moment we sit in the car, Erum starts speaking this and that, but today she was just quiet. I guess she could feel her mom's inner turmoil. I asked Erum if she wanted to go to the beach. I don't want to go the empty house today.

"Yaay, Ma beach." Erum exclaimed. She loves beaches just like me.

"Beach it is." With that, I drove to the beach. And for the first time since i moved here, I wished to go back. To my family and my city.
_____________________________

I know, it was not up to the mark. But cut me some
slack guys, I'm new here.
Let me know how'd you like Subhan and Aayras meet! 🤝

PS: You're exactly where you have to be right now. 💗