Chapter 8

Raelynn

-

Sav got the start tonight. Korbin and I started on the bench, as we expected. I took a spot next to her and we got up every once and a while to do dynamics on the sidelines with Alyssa, Ashley and Trinity.

Just before halftime, China was able to net a goal off a set piece. Needless to say hat killed our mood going into the tunnel.

We got scored on and are being shut out by a team we beat 3-0 the other day. Sure the lineup changed a lot, but there's no reason why we should be down.

We stayed down until Sam Coffey pulled us level in the 62nd minute. By that point, Korbin and I had been told we were going in. We were taking out Sam Coffey and Lindsey Horan respectively. That left us with a midfield trio of Sav, Korbin and I.

1-1 tie and the kids were subbed in. We have the opportunity to prove a lot.

We were laying siege to their net but we couldn't seem to find the back of it. For 10 minutes, we passed around in our attacking third, penetrating through and taking good shots.

Korbin was just outside of the box attempting to win the ball when she got kicked in the face.

I could hardly see from my angle because it happened so fast.

She went down immediately, and I ran over. I couldn't tell if it was her nose or her eye because she had her hands over her face.

"Albert. Albert." I put my hand on her back. "Where'd you get kicked?"

"My fucking eye." Her voice was muffled by the fact that her head was still down.

"Look at me."

She picked her head up slowly and moved her hands. There was a little cut and a bruise already forming under her left eye. I moved my hand up to wipe away a spot of dirt but she pulled away.

"I said you could look, not touch, McBride."

"You have dirt on your face." I laughed, and she did too. By then, the trainers had made their way over and I quick jogged to the sideline to get a drink of water.

"You got her laughing." Thompson handed me a water bottle. "Good sign."

"She's fine." I smiled and handed the bottle back. "Thanks, Lyss."

"No problem. I can feel a goal coming."

"One can dream." I smiled and turned to walk away. Trinity grabbed me and told me they'd decided on me to take the free kick just outside the box that Korbin had won. They'd seen me in training and wanted to give me a chance.

"We'll get you and Sav over the ball. You can hit that." She told me.

"And we're on the keeper's weak side." I pointed out. "She favors the other side."

"We've seen you hit this Raelynn. Do your thing."

I nodded and she took her spot. Korbin came back on as Sav and I stood over the ball, communicating with our eyes.

"Top corner." She breathed as she leaned in towards me. I nodded and she moved away from me. The whistle blew, my eyes planted on the top corner.

The goalie probably knew I was gonna hit it there, so I had to put some pace and spin on it.

I took a deep breath as Sav ran over it. When I went to hit the ball, I miscalculated my steps and hit it weirdly. It bounced off the wall and went to the side. It bounced around in the box for a few seconds, then it popped back out to me.