Chapter 7

Raelynn

-

I kept my head on a swivel as I walked into the cafe. I was expecting to see Ashley Sanchez sitting at a table eating a croissant or something. But instead I saw Sophia in the corner, completely alone. That's weird. Did I do something to her? 

I took a deep breath and put a smile on my face as I walked over to her. 

"Hey." I said, sliding in the seat across from her. 

"What's up, Raelynn? Feeling okay?" 

"...what?"

"Still a little out of it, I see." She laughed. "You were so funny last night. You're literally everyone's favorite..." 

She kept talking, but my eyes landed on someone walking into the cafe. 

She kept her eyes locked with mine, and I knew Sophia wasn't who I was here for, as much as I would've liked that to be the case. 

"Hey Soph." I cut her off and she stopped, still smiling. 

"What's up?" 

"I'm sorry to interrupt...but." I looked out towards the cafe again. "I really have to talk to someone. I'll try to be back in a few, alright?" 

"Okay!" She said as I stood up. 

"Bless your heart." I smiled after grabbing her hand and squeezing it quickly. 

She looked confused as I walked away but she went back to the book she was reading thankfully. To my knowledge, she had no idea who I had left to talk. 

"I thought I told you-" I said as I walked up to her, but she cut me off. 

"Stop. I know." She took a deep breath. "Let me order and then we'll talk. I didn't expect you to be down here first." 

"Fine." 

I found a table that was a little bit out of the way of the relatively empty cafe. Most people who filtered through were wearing suits and probably heading to meetings. Some of them sat down, and I compared myself to them, feeling like my flannel and leggings looked trashy. 

A few minutes later, she sat down across from me, putting a cup in front of me. An iced caramel macchiato, my favorite type of coffee. 

"What's this?" I asked. "Why?" 

"I figured you probably didn't eat or drink much yet." 

"I didn't." I took a sip. "Thanks." 

A silence fell between us. She had to know I was going to ask why she asked me to come here. She didn't make me come here just to buy me my favorite coffee the morning after drunk sex. 

"So why'd you want me here?" I finally asked, breaking the awkward silence between us. The tension was thick in a confusing way. "I said I was done with you. No more." 

"I know." She clearly found one of the lines on the wooden table more interesting than me. 

"This is my apology." 

"You already gave me one." 

"For last night." 

"Okay. Apology accepted." 

"Seriously?" 

"Yeah. With the way I was last night, it could have been anyone. I'm not gonna hold this one over your head." I said. As much as I wanted to, I just couldn't. It's not her fault, but it's also not mine either. 

"Thanks, Rae." She mumbled. 

Just before we entered another awkward silence, a man came by with two plates.