Visiting an angel

Early the next morning, Arjun sir reached Abhi's house to pick him up for a long drive. He smiled at Abhi and said, "Naan valarum podhu home Mylapore la irundhuchu. Ange 30 kozhandainga thaan irundhom. Ippo 250 kozhaindhaiga irukaanga. Naanum Poorni yum Porur pakkathula rendu land vaangeerndhom. Poorni ku ange oru veedu katti, pinnadi ye oru vegetable garden vachu. Enga retired life ange thaan irukkanum nu aasa patta. Avale illaingum podhu andha land a vachu naan enna panna poren so Lakshmi amma ku donate pannitten. Ange thaan ippo home katteerkaanga. Ippo andha area nalla develop aagi school, college, hospital nu ellame vandhaachu." Abhi nodded in agreement. Soon Arjun took a small road which seemed to lead to a wasteland but at the end of it was a large building. It was two storied with a play ground in the back. It was fenced. As they reached closer, the watchman recognized Arjun and came running to let him in "Annai Illam" (Mother's home). Arjun said out loud, "Ennoda Annai illam." He parked the car and said, "Vaanga Abhimanyu yen veetukku."

As the entered, there was a small temple, outside of which, both Arjun and Abhi took of their footwear and said a little prayer. Then the approached the porch where there was a shoe shelf. They had the take off their footwear before entering the home. As the entered the building, there was an office where they had to sign in. There were also a couple of offices within where adoption processes took place. The passed the office to enter a large multi purpose hall. It was a dining/study hall. There was a large kitchen behind with 3 cooks. On the left of that hall was a play room. Children's laughter sound filled the air. Arjun smiled and led Abhi towards that hall. Arjun opened to door yelling a "Hello" and a bunch of kids came running towards him screaming, "Arjun uncle Arjun uncle." He knelt down allowing them to come towards him and hug him. Abhi was overwhelmed to see the love these kids had for them. There were a couple of young woman who smiled in recognition as well.

Suddenly Abhi felt someone tugging on his pant. He turned around to see who it was and heart skipped a beat. His eyes met this cute little cherubic face with a toothie smile trying to get his attention. She kept blinking her eyes and tugged again saying, "Dada." She was barely two. Abhi quickly picked her up smiling. "Hi" he said, "Neenga yaaru? Unga per enna?" The child touched his cheeks and giggled. Just then he heard a voice from behind saying, "Mithra. Sangamithra ava peru." Hearing the voice Arjun turned around and walked towards the elderly lady to get her blessings. Then he hugged her saying, "Amma eppidi irukeenga?" He then handed his car key to her and she called for the peon and gave the key saying, "Arjun sir car trunk la irukara items a eduthu ulla vai." Arjun introduced her to Abhi, "Abhimanyu ivanga thaan ennoda amma, Lakshmi amma. Naan inge varunpodhu enna full aa paathukittadhu ivanga thaan. Inniki naan oru aal aanadhukku reason ivanga thaan."Abhi bowed his head to her. She tried to get Mithra from him only for the child to hold on to Abhi's shirt and scream at Lakshmi amma. " Ayayo Iva idhu vara yaaru kittayum ippidi panninadhu illai. Enna nu therila. Sorry pa" but Abhi immediately stopped her saying, "Ayyo parava illai maa. Enakku onnum prachanai illai. Naan konja neram thooki vachukaren."

To be honest Abhi felt an immense sense of warmth. Little Mithra cupped his face to get his attention and chuckled blinking constantly. That's when he asked Lakshmi amma, "Naan kekarene nu thappa eduthuka mateenga nu nambaren but ivanga yen ippidi kannu simitikitte irukaanga?" Lakshmi Amma's face dropped, "Avalukku porandhadhu lerndhu kannula problem. She is actually slowly becoming blind. She can't see clearly so blink panni panni she is trying to get a better look." Abhi's heart broke hearing that. How can God be so cruel. He looked at Mithra and she immediately did something that melted his heart. She kissed his cheek and he hugged her, holding her tightly. He did not want to let go of her. A few minutes later, Mithra rested her head on his shoulder. While getting a tour of the place Abhi realized that Mithra had fallen sound asleep on him. This again surprised Lakshmi amma. "Ivala thoonga vekkardhukku naanga evvalo kashta paduvom theriyuma. Pesama Neengale ivala kootitu poidunga" she laughed but that was a message from God for Abhi.

He was lost in thought on their drive home when Arjun intervened, "Enna Abhimanyu aazhndha sindhanai la irukeenga?" Abhi smiled and said, "Thank you Arjun sir. Ennoda life la onnume illai nu nenakkum podhu you should me a purpose. Andha kozhandhai Mithra va naan adopt panikalaam nu irukken." Arjun laughed, "Abhimanyu, you are emotional right now. Adhunaala thaan appidi pesareenga. Raising a child is not easy adhuvum, I am sorry to say, but not your biological child. Ippo it will all look nice but you have to think about your future and most importantly Mithra's future. Plus oru single man ku oru girl baby adopt panna viduvaangala nu doubt. There are several red flags here. So enkitta ketteenga na Ungalukku mana nimmadhi ku poi Mithra va paarunga avaloda time spend pannunga. For all you know, this is just a healing process for you."

Although Abhi understood what Arjun said the intense connection he felt with Mithra could neither be ignored nor denied. She kept pulling him towards her like magnet and tugging his heart with her innocent unconditional love, every time he went to see her. The home was not Abhi's regular place to visit. He started to spend every weekend with Mithra. For some reason, she became his lucky charm as well. All good things started to happen in his life. He started to get great projects and all of them were doing well too. Finally, Abhi decided that he wanted to adopt Mithra but this meant he needed to talk to his mother and convince her first. No mother would be ok for her unmarried son to become a father. It would need some convincing from his side.

He decided to bring his mom over from CBE and let her meet  Mithra first.

Brinda Subramanian