Ice cream

It had been almost 8 months since their first meeting. One Friday evening they were at the beach, her most favourite place. He was sitting crisscrossed and she was sitting hugging her knees and chin on top of the knee. "hmmmm..... beach naale oru semma positive vibe la?" She said, "light aa andha kaathu, alai oda sound, aparam chinna pasanga sirippu satham" then she went close to his ears and whispered, "boat pinnadi mutha satham." He immediately looked at her and she moved away pretending like she hadn't said anything and giggled but she noticed that he was lost in thought. She frowned and said, "Ennachu ungalukku? Yen ivvalo silent aa irukeenga?"

He turned towards her and smiled. He held her hand and she quickly crisscrossed her leg, looking at him with concern. He looked down at her hand and said, "Naan unkitta konjam pesanum maa. Adhu eppadi arambikkardhu nu theriyama thaan thavikkaren but let me get to the point. Nee chinna ponnu. Yes I know age is just a number but unakku life experience kammi. You have not had a lot of interactions with people. Namma meet pannina time lerndhu we have been inseparable. Unakku eppidi nu therila but namma daily pesarom. Night video call mudichu thoongarom but call cut pannina udane I miss you terribly. Morning ezhundha udane Unna pakkanum, un kurala kekkanum nu thonudhu. I wait for weekends to meet you. I long for you all the time but, in my case, I have had my share of crushes and heart breaks so I know what we have is very special" she gave him a quick peck on his cheek and did a dhrishti for both of them saying, "Ayyo yaaru kannum pattuda koodadhu saamy" and pretended to spit on her fist asking him to do the same. He looked away nodding and admiring her cuteness.

He then continued, "but unakku appidi illai maa. I am your first love. You are still young. You have the scope to meet people who are better than me. I want you to grow and explore." She pulled her hands away and frowned. Before he could speak any further she stopped him with her hand gesture saying, "Ippo enna solla vareenga? Yes this is my first romantic relationship but I am not stupid. I know my feelings. I don't need to see the world to understand my feelings for you. Yes Ungaloda vayasula naan chinnava thaan. Romba chinnava but please don't use that as an excuse. Ippidi ellam pesardha irundha naan kelambaren" she said and got up to start walking. He quickly ran behind her saying, "Sorry sorry sorry, innime ippidi solla maaten ok?" She kept walking with a frown. He smirked and said, "Seri vaa ice cream saapadlaam." She looked at him and frowned, "ippidi ellam ice vekka mudiyadhu. Enakku vendaam." He quickly grabbed her hand and pulled her towards their favourite ice cream shop saying, "enakku venume. Inniki naan chocolate flavor order panna poren." She scowled, "Adhu ennoda favourite. Neenga unga kandraavi bubble gum order pannunga....hmmm..." He tried to cover his smile. She pulled away from him and went and sat at a corner booth, looking out of the window with a pout.

He smiled looking at her and went up to the counter, "oru medium... illai large chocolate icecream...." The girl at the counter recognized the frequent customer and asked, "Madam ku pudicha madiri thaane?" He nodded and said, "Rendu spoon vainga." He came and sat across from her saying, "wow inniki ice cream extra soft aa irukku." She refused to look at him. He took a bite of it and said, "mmmmm.....yummmm, Samyu indha enna oru photo Eden please." She grabbed his phone and clicked a pic. She handed it back to his saying, "close up la eduthirukken unga musudu moonji ya. Ice cream saapadra moonji ya paaru." She then grabbed the ice cream bowl from him and started eating it. He looked away smiling. He bit his lower lip controlling his laughter and scratched his eyebrows. How can she be so adorable! How can he help not falling head over heels in love with her!

He reached out to get a spoon of icecream but she pulled the cup closer to her refusing to share. He smiled and put his spoon away and just sat their enjoying the child like woman in front of him. He just said a little prayer asking God to always protect her and her innocence.

Oh God! Let life not change her 💜

Brinda Subramanian