Emotion VS Logic

Since his chat with Krishnan, Abhi was lost in thought. He was battling between the emotions in his heart and the logic in his mind. He knew that he had to talk to Samyu but his heart ached to think that he had to look into her eyes and convince her to go abroad for higher studies. He had to convince her that it was all going to be ok and long distance relationships work as well. He had to convince her that it was just a matter of 2-3 years and that time would just fly. The toughest part was that he had to convince her that he would be ok without their weekly dates, without their bike rides to the beach, without their hugs and kisses, without holding her tiny hands in his and without those melting moments in her eyes.

Just the thought of this made him feel uneasy and sick to his stomach but he did not have a choice. He had to do this. Isn't true love about sacrifice? Isn't true love about empowering each other? Isn't true love about trust? Being emotional is temporary but logically working towards building a future for them, is what life is all about. Abhi picked up his phone several times to message Samyu but each time he put it aside buying a little more time.

He jumped when his phone buzzed. He smiled at her chirpy "hi". "hi maa, enge irukke?" Samyu chuckled, "Enna Abhi Neenga theriyadha madiri kekkareenga. Ippo thaan college mudinjuchu. Last day before study holidays la? Seri enge meet pannalaam nu sollunga." He hesitated. He could not do this today. He needed some more time. He replied, "Maa romba sorry. Oru director story solla varen nu soleerkaaru. 2 manikku varavendiyadhu. Engeyo stuck aam so avar vara varaikkum naan ingendhu kelamba mudiyadhu" he lied. His heart ached lying to her. He had never kept anything from her until now.

He could sense her voice drop in disappointment almost immediately when she said, "oh appidiya Appo innikki meet panna mudiyadha? Seri Appo naaliki?" He hesitated, "Haan... naaliki namba message panikkalaame. Situation eppidi irukku nu paathuttu decide pannalaama?" She answered with a "Haan okayyy... aparam vera enna vishayam sollunga?" He could not hide his feelings and continue to talk to her like everything was fine so he lied yet again, "Maa innoru call varudhu. Naan Unna apparama call pannaren ok. Love you maa." She smiled saying, "Love u too, ummmmaaaa." He sighed. She always made his feel better. It wasn't even intentional. It was her nature. He felt her warm love even through the phone.

He mustered the courage the following day to call her, "Maa inniki 4pm ku cafe bistro la meet pannalaama? Actually unkitta oru mukkiyamana vishayam pesanum." She got all excited hearing that, "Mukkiyamana vishayam aa? Propose panna poreengala? Appidina naan ippove ok thaan. Naalikke kalyanam panikkalaam." He laughed sadly. She did not know his predicament but this was also a base for him so he said, "Kalyanam panni? Naane orey oru Padam panittu wait panikittu irukken. Innum oru dingy one bedroom flat la irukken. Unna Rani madiri vachukka aasai padaren maa. Ippo irukara nelamaila nee thaan enna paathukanum. Idhula kalyanam, kozhandhi, kutty thaan korachal." She giggled not knowing his mindset, and teased him, "Ennadhu? Kozhandhai, kutty ya? Adhellam naan sollave illiye. Seri Appo unga kanakku padi paatha oru 10 years ku apparam kalyanama pannikalaama? Naan wait pannuven pa aana Neenga wait pannuveengala?" His heart literally stopped hearing that. This was too overwhelming for him. He quickly crossed his fingers making a silent prayer to the angels to not grant her wish. He was interrupted by Samyu asking, "Sollunga. Enna silent ayiteenga?" He softly said, "10 varsham enna ma 10 jenmam kooda wait pannuven unakaaga." He meant every word.

She cheerfully said, "Seri ok naan 4 ku ungala meet pannaren. Inniki oru recording vera irukku night la. Soga paatam. Ayo eppidi paada poren nu therila. Enakku sirippu thaan varum" she giggled. He replied, "Adhellam illai maa. Nee super aa paaduve. Enakku theriyum. Seri maa naan gym ku kelambaren. See you later. Love you maa." She blushed and replied, "Love you too Manna." "Adhu enna maa Pudhu peru?" He asked. Pat came her reply, "Enna Rani madiri paathukkanum naa Neenga mannar thaane? Adhukku thaan Manna endru azhaithen" she answered dramatically.

He was at the cafetaria by 3:45. He found a corner table and was visibly nervous. He was breaking his knuckles, which he usually did when he was tensed. He sipped the water that was placed in front of him. He could feel his heart pounding and felt the sweat on his forehead. He took deep breaths. He had to do this. It was all going to be fine. There was no reason to panic. She will definitely understand. All's going to be well.

He kept convincing himself as he saw her walking in. She looked gorgeous in a beautiful green outfit. The crop top revealing her waist and the long skirt covering up to her ankle. Her angelic smile melted his heart. He wanted to hold on to the moment forever.

Brinda Subramanian