Are we there yet?

Samyu and Abhi were at Dr. Lalitha's clinic. She had just examined Samyu and had asked her to take a seat while she cleaned up and came to her desk. She smiled at them and said, "At 38 weeks everything looks great. The baby seems to be ready and is in position. Innime eppo venumnaalum delivery aagalam. Although we would like for you to complete 40 weeks, it is now safe for the baby to be delivered. Lungs are fully developed at this point. You have not dilated so I don't foresee anything this week but sometimes baby's have a mind of their own" she chuckled. Then she continued, "Be prepared with everything that you need for your hospital visit. Also, if the baby is still not here after 40 weeks, we will schedule a day to bring you in and induce labor. I am an old timer and don't believe in c-section unless it is absolutely essential. Inducing labor will still be a normal vaginal delivery except that we will give you a medication called Pitocin which will trigger labor pain. We will keep you as comfortable as we can during the process and we will be prepared to give you an epidural if you need it. So don't worry. You will be in safe hands with us. Naan Inge illainaalum ennoda students ellarume best and you can trust them completely. Our hospital also has the best NICU and Pediatric team. Samyuktha, Neenga relaxed aa irukanum. I know, konjam anxiety irukka thaan irukkum but remember that in just a few more days you will experience something so beautiful and divine. Your life is going to change for ever. Name ellam yosichacha?" Samyu and Abhi looked at each other and smiled. Then Samyu replied, "Illai actually andha poruppa naanga kozhandhaiyoda akka kum thatha paati kum kuduthirukkom. Enga kittaye avanga kozhandhai porandha apparam thaan solluvaangalaam. Secret aa vachirukaanga." Dr. Lalitha laughed, "Ayayo adhu romba periya risk aache?" Abhi smiled and replied, "Naaliki kozhandha perusaagi peru pudikala nu sonna avangala korthu vittuduvom doctor." She laughed at his replied and nodded saying, "Ok so everything looks great. I will see you next week here if I don't see you at the hospital before that. You two have a wonderful day."

Samyu and Abhi thanked the doctor and slowly headed out. Samyu was extremely uncomfortable yet very happy. Abhi helped her into the car and once she settled, he ran to the driver's side. Just when he was about to start, she said, "Abhi baby ku ice cream venumaam, pleeaaachh?" she pouted. He smiled and touched her stomach saying, "Dei kutty unga amma evvalo periya KD paathiya? Un pera solli ice cream kekkara" then he looked up at Samyu and said, "Unakku illadha ice cream aa maa. Polaam." They went to their fabourite ice cream parlor and she thoroughly enjoyed her favourite butterscotch ice cream before heading back home.  They could hear Mithu's laughter from inside but she came running out when she heard the sound of the car, "Vandhaachu vandhaachu" Samyu handed her the box of her favourite Neapolitan ice cream as they walked in. It was hot and Samyu was breathing heavily. Mithu quickly turned the AC on and Samyu kissed Mithu's cheek, thanking her.

Abhi narrated everything that Dr. Lalitha said. The entire family was starting to get excited. Although Samyu was happy and actually looking forward to the delivery, she was also nervous and scared. There was a little part of her that wanted to hold on to the baby in her stomach and protect the baby forever. She sighed at the thought of what was coming in the following weeks. There were two more weeks, only two more weeks. At least that's what Samyu thought.

But babies have a mind of their own don't they? Destiny's child.

Brinda Subramanian