Chapter ten: Your love will be the end of you

Beneath the oppressive shadows, the mysterious man in black twitched, seemingly captivated by the unexpected visitor. The cold steel of Montaigne's knife pressed against Gelus's neck, yet she stood unyielding, her gaze fixed decisively on Eugene. While everyone was distracted, a glimmer of hope danced over Anastasia, who seized her chance and crawled desperately toward the door. However, Gabriel's lone eye caught her movement, his hands snatching her with the precision of a hunter capturing a wild rabbit, and he callously tossed her onto Rudolf's corpse. The room fell into a stifling silence, the air pregnant with the weight of terror and despair, as the prostitute lay paralyzed.

Eugene's luscious voice was a contrast to the scene,  "Princess, what a delight to see you here. Yet, I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness, knowing that your visit is solely for the Elostrian." 

At those words, Eugene crossed his brows. During his time in Casdelvia, he received a letter from the wiseman, indicating that the Elostrian was still alive and captured by his men. For revenge, all Gabriel needed to do was to present a ring stolen from Caleb on the day of his capture.

"I was informed that the Brendells were in this town," Gelus replied. "Considering what happened ten years ago, I was certain their return to Tov was related to Caleb. But now that I see you here, I am not so sure."

Gabriel's voice betrayed confusion. "Our name is on the paper, and our location as well? Eugene! You promised we were well hidden!"

The wiseman's lips curved in a sly smile, ignoring the bandit. He turned his attention back to Gelus, approaching his hands to her face. "From your cunning brain to your breathtaking beauty, princess, you are a political weapon. And yet, here you are, chasing after a man."

"Do not underestimate me. I am also here for the throne, to take you down along with my cousin," Gelus declared with steely determination.

His eyes locked onto hers, and from her gaze flowed an overwhelming aura, "Ah, perhaps Lisa had a point; what unshackles the beast might be love. Judging by your appearance, I can assert there's nothing remotely sane. This unwavering determination to save your beloved Caleb has blinded you. It's riveting how love can be such a potent tool and, at the same time, a dangerous vulnerability."

Her knuckles turned white, her stance firm, "Enough blather, Eugene. I will not leave until I am sure that he is safe."

He chuckled, a sinister melody in the air, "Montaigne is the one at your neck, Gabriel is at my right, and Larius, behind him. They are here because Caleb ruined Gabriel's face, and I promised him he'd get his revenge."

The princess trembled, her breath shortening as she studied the room, "

A ruckus echoed from below the building, Larius went to the window and quickly stepped back, stating, "Soldiers!"

Eugene's eyes flickered with a glint of mischief.

Larius shouted to his brothers but Eugene's voice overlapped his, shouting, "I have devoted my life to studying the intricacies of the mind. I can discern when one's soul has departed, leaving their brain in tumult, making them capable of anything! Your love, princess, will be the end of you."

Gabriel, with his weapon pointed at Eugene, glanced out the window, but before he could react, the mysterious man in the corner swiftly shot his arm. "It was a trap!" Gabriel screeched as the man in black aimed at his leg, causing him to collapse. Montaigne released his grip on the princess, ready to rush to his fallen brother, but Gabriel restrained him. "Run, brother, take Larius with you." Hesitant, the colossal man turned away and scooped him up, ignoring his protests to be left behind.

In the midst of the commotion, Anastasia clutched onto Eugene's belt, only to receive a harsh kick to the stomach like a dog. Ascending the stairs, soldiers marched forward while Montaigne carried Gabriel on his back. Beads of sweat adorned his brow as he leaned out of the window, spying a heap of garbage below. With a decisive leap, he jumped, and Larius swiftly followed.