Chapter six: What destiny holds

"Princess Gelus Bluelake, what a surprise!"

The king smiled at his younger cousin, and she bowed gracefully. Her gaze did not hide her abhorrence.

"I figured it's high time for me to rejoin society. It is my right, after all."

"They brought you here, as a substitute for me, much like how I replaced your parents. How creative."

"I came alone," Gelus whispered, "And the throne is of no concern to me. I'm here to track down a man, the one falsely accused of your crime."

Ra spoke even louder, aware that no one would hear amidst the loud music and distracted crowd, "Spare me your lies, cousin. If it's not the crown you seek, why are you here?"

Gelus glared at him silently. "Does he not know about Caleb?" she wondered, "Or is he playing games with me?"

"How was it cousin?" he interrogated her "To be orphaned and alone for so long?"

"You must know the feeling" she spat "After you killed your own mother. Is it why you sent the general to kill my parents? As a way to punish me for the consequences of your own villainy?"

He burst into laughter.

"To think that you would believe in such an outlandish story embarrasses me, cousin. But I admit, I am entertained."

Henry gave Gelus his hand, he smiled at her gently and asked: "Is there any room in your card princess?"

"Allow me introduce you, cousin, to our best serviceman, and the eldest son of Lord Batter. Henry Batter, he is also known to light up bored souls with his amusing jokes and charming smile."

"Your highness, you flatter me."

"That is my job. Now, take her at once and free her from the claws of ennui."

She surrendered to the soldier's lead, gracefully swaying step by step, a dance unfolding. Henry proved to be entertaining, his melodious voice narrating humorous tales and jokes as he twirled her around. Like a carefree child, he reveled in joy, almost floating across the dance floor.

In flocks, spying closely, mothers with eyes peeking below their fans eagerly anticipated the moment when Henry would release her, offering his open arms to one of their daughters. Urging him on, they whispered and fluttered like eager birds vying for attention. Engaging in a playful verbal joust, one mother cunningly sparred with another, striving to secure a place in the coveted Batter family line. Their banter, though intense, adhered to the accepted norms of the ton, with puckered smiles and relentless pursuit. So much that they hadn't noticed the princess leaving. She squeezed in between the layers of fabric and feathers to find solace in a quieter area, where people were more peaceful at heart. 

There, she discovered the general, seated alone in a light tangerine dress, her gaze fixed on the Duke of Leavestone, who was introducing his son to a mysterious man sporting a black hat and a golden mask. The duke pulled on his moustache, a habit he was known to have when something alluring came his way. His wife, the duchesse, was by his side with Anne glued to her skirts. 

She was next receiving blushful compliments from Lord Batter and his admiring wife, Lady Batter.

"If you'll excuse me," she nearly shouted, leaving them behind to follow the man with the dark hat. He was making his way out of the castle, with Eugene by his side. "Eugene Davis," the princess whispered, "one of the two wisemen who were in the council during my father's reign; every other left their post when Ra came along. I am certain that you know what happened to Caleb Jazel ten years ago."

 At the door outside, she was intercepted by Rudolf, who clicked his tongue and teased, "Are you leaving so soon, princess? You look so pale!" Politely attempting to push him away, she found him blocking the exit. Gelus peered above his shoulder and realized Eugene and the man had already departed. "I want to know where they are headed!"