(6)

Saturday3:00 pm

Saturday
3:00 pm

  The five of us sit in the living room. It was quiet. I was sitting next to my older brother, Justin. Our older sister, Saria sits next to him. Our parents sit across from us, coddling whatever poison in their glass. We all look back and forth between each other, waiting for someone to break the silence. You would think our parents would do it since they "wanted" us over here so bad. "Why am I here", I blurt out, earning a glare from my siblings.

"Dijon don't be rude", Saria scolds me and I wave her off. "You don't wanna debate with me about rude", I retort and she rolls her eyes.

She looks at me with a raised eyebrow. "Nah let's talk about it"

"Okay when's the last time you checked on your parents? When's the last time you offered to help? You legit took their money and dipped", I replied and she stands up to come in front of me. Justin shoots up to stand in between us, "Can y'all please cool it?", he whispers.

"We thought it would be nice to have all our children in the same room", mom speaks up with a stressed expression on her face. "Y'all are siblings, there is no reason you should be divided like this. Your father and I aren't gonna be here forever and the only people you have is each other"

Saria snorts, "Ma, I have a family of my own. I don't have time to bicker back and forth about something that's been dead to me long ago"

My sister and I have always had a rocky relationship. That stems from the fact that our parents think she can't do any wrong. Things got really bad between us two years ago, when she thought she was getting married. Our parents gave her thousands of dollars to secure venues, cakes, food, and really anything else that she wanted. It's like she went out her way to make the expenses higher just to come out and say the wedding is canceled. She still stayed with the man and took the money to help them buy the house.

Everyone seems to sweep that under the rug. It's easier to do that when you're not dealing with the repercussions. I feel like I'm giving them damn near a thousand every month. "Mhm, so when am I gonna meet my niece", Justin speaks up. "You haven't seen mimi yet", my dad sits up referring to my niece by her nickname. I haven't seen her outside of the pictures that Saria would post on Instagram.

"I'm not having my child around people who secretly hate me deep down which is why she knows everyone but you two", she points between Justin and I.

"You give yourself too much credit", I retort. I'll always love my sister but wrong is wrong. "If you would just take accountability for shit this wouldn't be a problem"

"Dijon watch it", momma speaks up at my use of language. "My bad", I reply as Saria sits back down.

"This is ridiculous. Y'all are grown. There's no reason to be bickering like kids. Whatever the issue is, y'all can just talk it out", dad tries to reason a little too late. This really wouldn't be much of an issue if our parents would parent. They're also to blame for why Saria acts clueless about the foul shit she has done. They coddle her every time. "Y'all be easy", I conclude and take my keys out of my back pocket.