(4.)

Sunday

Sunday

5:00 pm

I push the covers back, staring at the ceiling for a moment before finding the energy to get out the bed. I didn't realize how hung over I was until lifting my head felt like carrying a boulder. I gave up and laid back down which led to me being a bum for most of the day. That's how I ended up in this position.

I put my hands in my pants to get some form of warmth. It was cold but I'll freeze before I turn the heat on.

I go in the kitchen to wash my hands before pulling out the ingredients to make french toast. A meal that doesn't take too much effort but still comes out bomb.

I've been living by myself for almost two years now and it still feels surreal.

Ring Ring Ring

I look down at my phone to see a FaceTime call from my dad. I purse my lips, thinking if I should answer or not. I always need time to wake up so I can activate back to reality. I don't know how to explain it but I can't just wake up and have a conversation.

I press on the answer icon. His face pops up on the screen, extremely close enough to see the follicles on his head. "Wassup baldy", I greet and he shoots me the finger. "Can you like take me out yo' face"

   He backs up the camera and sits it on the table. I noticed the glass cup that was in his hand. Something that he would only have when he was having a drink. "How have you been?"

   "I've been good, just working and saving", I tell him. I go out but I make a habit to have a budget for myself.

    "Mhmm okay big money! You need to be throwing some of that my way"

    I pick my frown up, noticing that it was like that on the camera. "Don't even start that", my mom puts her face in the camera too. "Hey sonny! I miss you", she changes the topic and blows a kiss.

   Photography makes me a good amount of money. I saved most of it with the help of trying not to live beyond my means. People are quick to complain about how expensive stuff is but it doesn't stop them from spending their last on designer. "I miss you too", because of the amount of money somewhere along the line I became the bread winner. When they noticed that when my business started taking off, it didn't take me long to move and furnish the place, I think it started to register. I'm not broke but I'm not in the bracket of becoming rich yet either.

  "I'm just saying son, don't move out and forget where you came from"

   "Y'all late on the bills again", I ask instead of him trying to give me some fake lecture. I hated the whole beating around the bush concept. "How much do you need?"

    Momma shakes her head, "We'll figure it out"

"I'm getting too old to be working over time, Grace. If the boy wants to help out, let him"