(5)

Two weeks later

Two weeks later...
Thursday Night
8:00 pm

I cross my arms together tightly as if that would add to the nonexistent warmth outside. I jog quickly to make it to the sliding doors of Kroger. I grab a buggy, and sit my purse on the inside and adjust the air pod in my ear. I'm on the phone with my mother because she refuses to let me hang up. "How long is this gonna take?", she huffs.

"You don't have to stay on the phone. You know it takes a minute to shop", I roll my eyes as I navigate through the crowd of people. You would think the later you go, the less crowded it would be. I guess everyone has the same mindset. "No people are crazy. I'm staying on the phone with you until you get back in the car. Why didn't you go with Aria?", she rants.

"Because I'm shopping for me. I just need a few things", I'm really buying snacks. To some it might sound childish but you don't always want a full meal everytime you're feeling lunchy. Aria and I have completely different tastes, her snacks have to have some form of sweetness while I'm more into salty or spicy stuff. "That's my bestie but we don't have to do everything together"

   My mom and I are polar opposites. She loves to constantly have people in her company while I go on the brink of insanity if someone is constantly in my face. "Okay so what are you gonna eat for dinner?", she changes the subject.

     "Pizza rolls and one of those white castle packs", I say nonchalantly.

    "Gi-times ain't that hard ni' you pushing it", my mom complains. "Who the fuck eats those things together?"

   "Baddie on a budget", I reply and we laugh.

  "No, I'm cooking for you tomorrow. Come by and pick it up on your way from work"

   Sometimes did I over exaggerate how poor I really am for sympathy? Yes. That's only because it doesn't take much for my mother to be concerned and offer up a free meal. If my voice cracked long enough, it might make her cough up some money too. "Thank you"

    "My po' chile living on pizza rolls, Lord help em"

I tune her out as I stuff some more stuff into my buggy. I stare at the bowls of fruit, wondering why each of them cost ten dollars. They weren't even the big sized ones. "Gianna?", I hear my name and I look up to see Dijon. He was bundled up, a hoodie and a jean jacket on top with a scarf around his neck. "Dijon, hey", I try to contain the smile that's beaming on my face,

"Who is that?", mom calls out and I quickly press mute. "You good?", he says noticing my perplexed expression. I wanted to hang up the phone so bad but I know she'll blow me up the whole conversation.

"Yea just debating if I want this fruit or not"

He looks at my cart, "Ah on a budget huh?"

"You trynna be funny?", it wasn't much in there. I was only coming for the things that are on sale.