Chapter 33 - Moon 18

Beginne am Anfang

“We have a new cat among us today. At half moon, she will be given the choice to stay with us or return to the Clan Of Tall Trees.”

Moonkit shrank further behind Ivyshadow as all eyes were suddenly on her.

“However, she is six moons age, and I would like to give her the full experience before she makes her choice. Moonkit, step forward.”

It was an obviously desperate move; Ivyshadow had never heard of a cat joining a clan so easily. And yet the Clan of Falling Rock needed apprentices, and Ivyshadow knew Marvlestar would do everything in his power to convince the young she-cat to stay.

Ivyshadow suddenly realized all eyes were on her, and she stepped aside, giving Moonkit a gentle push.

Moonkit stepped shakily up to the rock, looking confused.

“Moonkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Moonpaw. Your mentor will be Topazleaf. I hope Topazleaf will pass down all she knows on to you.”

The small she-cat seemed to finally realize what was happening, and a look of awe dawned in her eyes. Ivyshadow wondered how much Ava had romanticized Clan life to her daughter.

“Topazleaf, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Sandclaw, and you have shown yourself to be loyal and strong. You will be the mentor of Moonpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Moonpaw.”

If Topazleaf was surprised at the sudden ceremony, she didn't show it. Instead she padded forward, touching Moonpaw’s nose with her own warmly.

“We welcome you warmly into the Clan for Falling Rock. Topazleaf will show you the ways of our clan, and I hope that you can find a place here. Cats, please welcome Moonpaw!”

“Moonpaw! Moonpaw! Moonpaw!”

Ivyshadow joined in the cheers, still unsure on how she thought about the whole situation. Moonpaw shot her a nervous look, but was distracted by Topazleaf pulling her away with a smile.

“So Falling Rock is just stealing our apprentices?” Forestpaw asked snarkily.

Ivyshadow sighed. Why couldn't she have gotten a sweet little she-cat for an apprentice? “Acornstar wouldn't have taken her anyway.”

“True,” Forestpaw admitted, “unless she has her eye on a piece of Swaying Grass territory.”

“Forestpaw! What a horrible thing to say!”

Forestpaw shrugged, “It's just the truth. Oh look, someone caught a rabbit!” The dappled tom ran over to the prey pile, already forgetting that they were in the middle of a conversation.

He wasn't wrong, of course. Ivyshadow allowed herself to imagine a life without such a harsh leader, a life in Falling Rock. Kindness would be taught early instead of strength, and maybe she would have felt free to voice her concerns even as a kit. Maybe Marblestar would have listened to Ivyshadow’s warnings about Violetfang, and Willowbranch never would have died - or been kicked in the first place. She could leave Tall Trees and join Falling Rock. She had a choice just as much as Moonpaw did. And yet… Ivyshadow couldn't imagine living without her friends, her family or her forest. The beauty of the trees and the crunch of leaves beneath her paws. The flowers peeking up from behind fallen logs, the sparrows singing cheerfully from their nests. Ivyshadow knew she could never leave her forest anymore than she could leave Snowfall, or Runningmouse. And if that means I'll have to work twice as hard, so be it.

○○○

The last half-moon spent in the Falling Rock clan passed by slowly for Ivyshadow. Forestpaw grew more and more restless each day, and by the end of their time she was ready to give up on mentoring altogether. It was easy to see where Moonpaw fit in, even after just a couple of weeks. She was already joking with Topazleaf and had even caught a bat. As much as Ivyshadow hated to admit it, she would miss the Falling Rock cats. Cobaltwhisper, Marblestar, Moonpaw and even Topazleaf and Quartzcluster.