Breaking Step, Chapter 43

Start from the beginning

Palden muttered as he walked away. "I am doomed to linger in obscurity."

"Ignore him," Lamberto said. "He wouldn't know a good thing if someone slipped it into his purse. Our runs are going to be great. I just know it."

"That's the spirit," Theodore said, smiling. "And with Tibs to guide you, you'll all be Epsilon in no time."

"If he's so good," Gabrielle mocked, "why is he still here? Shouldn't he be Epsilon already and out there, making himself the hero of some other cities? Maybe saving other dungeons?"

"Didn't you listen to the bard?" Lamberto replied, offended. "Tibs had to work harder than anyone to get where he is. He started without essence."

"We all do," The metal use said, rolling his eyes. While the numbers of secrets he harbored made Tibs want to say he was a rogue, Lamberto's use of the expression made that more likely. Although there were five of them so, they could both have the same class.

"No," Lamberto insisted. "Even once he had his element, he didn't get any essence. His eyes didn't change color. He had to survive his runs with nothing but his wits and skills."

And his teams, Tibs wanted to correct, but Gabrielle was faster.

"You've been lied to, Lamb, again. You should know better than to listen to bards. As soon as we get our element, our eyes change, and you have essence to wield."

"Tell her," Lamberto ordered Tibs.

Tibs struggled to stay silent and in place. The outside called to him, the roofs, where he'd be away from all these people and their posturing. Of that boy using him to make himself important. Using Tibs for his entertainment.

Gabrielle, Carlan, and their father watched him attentively. The metal user shoved the crowd out of his way. No, not a rogue. Brutish enough to be a fighter.

"I'm told," Tibs said, barely managing not to grit his teeth, "that I'm the youngest Runner to survive the dungeon and get his element." He was careful in the words he used. He doubted Carlan knew enough yet to tell when someone lied, but he also didn't want to sound like it was something he claimed for himself. He had to talk with one of the Light Runners and find out when they learned to see lies.

"Because of that, my eyes didn't change color when I returned from my audience with Water. I did have essence, but my reserve was so small I could barely do anything with it."

Lamberto straightened and puffed his chest. As if he'd accomplished some impossible task in getting Tibs to say this much.

Carlan smirked. "You want a copper for that story?" He looked at his father. "Really? You're saddling us with that because Lamb's infatuated with a bard's story? He's lying to make himself feel important."

"I didn't lie," Tibs said through gritted teeth.

"Let me tell you something you clearly don't know," Carlan said, stepping closer, shoulders rigid. "My element's light. You can't lie to me. Lies shine bright, and right now, your words are blinding me."

"More like yours are," Tibs replied, and smiled as this noble stiffened. "Our previous guard leader had light as his element. Plenty of people lied to him. I did a time or two. He's Gamma. Are you even Upsilon?"

"Don't you—" Carlan raised his hand, but his father caught it.

"I will not have you hit a guest and tarnish my name." He glared at his son. "I taught you better."

"Yes, Father." Carlan glared at Tibs. If his father noticed the look, he didn't care. When he released the hand, Carlan turned, and the crowd parted before he had to push them out of his way.