ten

Mel and Grover walk around the inside of the arch, still holding onto Percy. Annabeth walks a bit slower behind. They find a little compartment that will take them to the top and go inside. It is a bit cramped, but they manage.

"What was that back there? What did you hear?" Percy asks Annabeth. "She spoke to you," he realizes.

"Alecto did that with me back in the museum in New York. What did she say?"

Mel gives Percy a look, wondering why he hadn't told her.

Annabeth looks to the side facing out of the small apartment with a scared expression on her face. The other three turn to look just before the doors shut.

"Was that the Chimera?" Grover asks with a shaky voice. "I think... I think that was the Chimera. How did the Chimera even get inside here? How did any monster get inside here?" Percy gives Annabeth a strange look that Mel can not seem to identify. Maybe disbelief? Or betrayal almost?

"Annabeth?" He asks. Mel can not help but notice how pale he has gotten and how purple his under eyes were. His eyes even started turning a bit pink.

"We're in a sanctuary. Athena would have had to let her in, but why would she do that?" Grover asks quickly.

"Annabeth!" Percy interrupts loudly. "What did Exhidna say to you?"

"She said my impertinence wounded my mother's pride. And that that will be my doom."

"Oh, that's nice," Mel mumbles.

"Impertinence? What kind of—" Percy stops himself as Annabeth tilts her head. "Medusa's head."

"Ding ding ding," Mel mumbles, suddenly becoming very uncomfortable with the whole situation.

"I embarassed my mother," Annabeth clarifies.

"But I'm the one who sent the head to Olympus. I signed the note."

"And I went along with it. It embarassed her. Now, she's angry," Annabeth aggressively pushes out each word.

"Guys what're we gonna do?" Grover asks.

"She isn't gonna help us when we get to the top to save Percy."

"No, I meant, what are we gonna do about Echidna and Chimera? They're gonna be right behind us."

Annabeth nods before looking at Mel and Percy.

•••

They get off the compartment once they reach the top. "We're not gonna have a lot of time," says Annabeth. "They'll be up here any minute. And if my mother isn't going to protect us, then we'll just have to fight it out up here."

They walk up some stairs, Grover and Mel struggling with Percy as Annabeth walks up with ease. Once they reach the top, they are met with many people.

"Oh no," Grover says. "We gotta get everybody outta here." Mel watches Annabeth look back at the fire alarm, before looking at them. Mel signals at her to go pull it. She may not know much about the real world, but of course she knows what a fire alarm is.

The sounds of beeping go throughout the building.

"You three follow them down," Annabeth says as she puts her hand on Grover's back, pushing him.

"What? We can't leave you here?" Mel furrows her brows.

"No. We're not splitting up," Grover says.

"Guys, come on."

"No no no we're all getting out of here together," Percy jumps in.

"We won't make it. The Chimera is the demigod killer," She says as she puts two hands on Grover pushes them. They begin walking. "Someone has to stay back to slow her down and buy everyone some time."