~.✧ gift exchange ✧.~

A/N This one shot is set three years after the end of Ethira (yes, Asria is only 19 but there's a reason I did it that way so don't come after me xD)

(Part 1 of 4 in this one shot series)

The corridors were chilly as I walked toward Varien's study. I pulled the shawl that rested around my shoulders tighter, trying to conceal any more warmth I could find.

I hoped Varien wasn't busy. Well, not as busy as normal. There was never a time he wasn't busy as that was the life of a king. But I could sometimes catch him for a break throughout the day if I was intentional enough.

As my feet tapped against the stone floor, I tried to work out in my mind what I would say when I got there. Maybe it was best to just let the conversation flow and see how I could fit it in. While I was wondering if I should have done something exciting and special to tell him, I'd brushed it off. For one, I wanted to tell him now. And planning something special took time. Two, that wasn't quite our style. I felt more comfortable simply talking to him instead of making things a grand display.

So I'd just tell him how I could. That would work. This brought a smile to my lips.

I arrived outside of his study, two guards stationed around his door. I gave them small smiles, greeting them. "Good morning."

"Good morning, your Majesty," they replied nearly in unison. But one quickly stepped forward. "Allow me to get the door for you."

"Thank you, sir."

He tapped a knock to the wood. From within, Varien allowed us entrance and the guard, young and eager to serve, presented me. Varien barely seemed to hear him as he beamed at me.

"Thank you," I told the guard one more time before he left. He nodded respectfully before closing the door behind me.

Varien rounded the corner of his desk and met me halfway across the room. With his long arms, he wrapped me in a big bear hug.

I laughed against his chest as I reciprocated the action. "Hi. It's like we didn't share breakfast together or something."

"Can't a man miss his wife for a few hours?"

"No, it's not allowed."

He pulled away and gave me a flat yet secretly amused look. I grinned and patted his chest.

"I'm actually glad you came for more than only missing you because I have a surprise." He laced his fingers with mine and pulled me along toward his desk.

"Oh, really?" I smiled, realizing this was a great opportunity. "I actually have a surprise for you, too."

"Perfect. We can exchange, then. But me first," he said excitedly.

Chuckling, I followed along. "Alright."

He positioned me right next to his side behind his desk as he rifled around for something on the desktop. Eventually, his hand grasped a roll of papers that he brought in front of us and began to lay out flat. I helped him set a couple paperweights on the corners to keep it from curling.