~.✧ remedy ✧.~

It was pouring rain outside but the overwhelming sense that I needed to fix things was suffocating me, pushing down, down, down on my chest until I couldn't breathe anymore

It'd been far too long since I'd talked to Ezalie, so long that I was terrified things were irreparable. Originally, I'd put off apologizing and explaining what happened with Julietta because I wanted to give her space. But now I was simply holding back because of fear. And I didn't want to be afraid anymore.

Ezalie was the single greatest thing to happen to me in a long time. And I was an idiot if I didn't do something about it.

I could have the messenger send my apology letter. But it was the middle of the night and I'd hate to make him ride in the rain. I could drop it off at the Corzavan Estate myself.

As I stepped out into the downpour, heading toward the stables, I made sure the letter was securely tucked in my jacket. I'd debated for a while on how I would apologize to her and ultimately I'd settled on the note. That was how we became close, after all, and I thought maybe that was how we could become close again.

And perhaps there was a small piece of me that was afraid to say all the things I'd written in person. I was a much better writer than I was speaker and getting my feelings across in a way that made sense was much easier on paper.

I slid into the stables, a bit of the chill cut by the walls blocking the wind. Rows of horses were kept in the royal stables, one for each person in my family and many others for the top guards.

My blond gelding, Leo, was kept in the third stall to the left and I approached him as I shook the rain out of my soggy hair. He was awake and stamped a little when he noticed me, grunting in excitement.

"Want to go for a ride, boy?" I asked him as I stroked his nose. "It might be a little wet but that's never stopped us before."

He let out a little noise again and I smiled slightly. He was always ready and I knew that I could set toward the Corzavans at a run, drop off the letter, and head back before anyone noticed my absence. Then this feeling would rise from my chest and all I would have to do was wait for Ezalie's response.

That would be a torture all it's own, I knew, but I would cross that bridge when I got there.

Tacking Leo up as quickly as I could, I was ready to go in just a couple minutes. I settled into the saddle, comfortable there from the many rides Saidy, Asria, and I took when we had a free day to spend together. With a deep breath, I nudged his side and he bolted into the rain.

The guards at the gates didn't question me when they saw me fast approaching. They simply pulled it open and let me through when they recognized me. Once through, I urged Leo into a sprint.

The Corzavan Estate wasn't far from the castle which was why I never really felt guilty for sending our personal messengers there almost daily when Ezalie and I were constantly writing to one another. It was approximately a ten minute ride at a horse's walk, but at the pace Leo was going, it'd be mere minutes.