Chapter 17- Uncomfortable Situations

Start from the beginning

"Really?" he asked, as if expecting me to announce it was just a prank.

"Really," I told him confidently and truthfully. I saw him stare off at the moon again for a moment before he spoke again.

"You're right, I shouldn't be angry at you for what happened. You did everything you could," he admitted. I was happy that he had moved on from his frustration towards me, and I now hoped that we could perhaps become friends.

"Thank you," I told him with a smile, which I saw him weakly return.

"So... How am I going to get out of here?" Sokka then queried, and it occurred to me then that he had still been stuck in the same crack in the ground the whole time.

"I wasn't lying when I said we'd need an earthbender," I told him with a slightly nervous chuckle. "Is there any water near here?" I then asked him as I thought of a plan.

"There's a small pond over there," he informed me as he nodded his head to the right. "I don't see how it's going to help me get out, though," he added with a sigh. Without answering him, I ran over to the pond and placed my hand in it. As the sun was going down, it was rather cool outside, so I instead focussed on the heat within my body. My breathing deepened as I felt the pond begin to heat up. I continued to do this until the water was bubbling and steam began billowing out. A few minutes later and there was a huge cloud of steam piling into the air. 'That will surely get the attention of Aang, Katara or Toph' I thought. 'Actually, probably not Toph...'

I walked back over to Sokka and explained that somebody would be on their way soon. He looked quizzically at me, and I pointed over to where the vast mist of steam poured into the sky. He turned his trapped head to look at it, and I saw his eyes widen in surprise.

"How did you do that??" he asked in shock, and I laughed.

"I guess there's more firebender in me than I like to admit," I grinned at him. Sokka then questioned me, so I explained my activities of the day. I described my visit to the spirit world, and my discovery that I was supposed to be a firebender. I was pleasantly surprised that Sokka didn't make a comment about me originating from the fire nation. I then enlightened him about my new ability to regulate the temperature of water, which he seemed genuinely fascinated about. We chatted about it for a bit, and it was nice to have a conversation with Sokka where the two of us actually got along for once. I wasn't long before Aang, who had likely been alerted by my cloud of steam, ran into our vision.

"Aang! Thank goodness!" Sokka cried out to him.

"Sokka, are you okay?" Aang asked as he rushed over and began pulling on Sokka's hands in an unsuccessful attempt to clear the boy. Sokka cried out in pain as Aang pulled.

"Stop, stop! You're going to pull my fingers off, and I don't think the rest of me is coming!" Sokka retaliated. Aang scratched his bald head for a moment as he thought.

"Hmm, I bet I can airbend you out of here," he told Sokka, before blasting a huge gust of air into the crevice. This achieved little but spiking Sokka's hair vertically, which was a rather amusing sight.

"Aang, you're going to need to earthbend him out," I told the young boy, whose face immediately turned into an expression of despair.

"I can't. I can't do it," he muttered unenthusiastically.

"Well, if you can't earthbend me out of here, go get Toph," Sokka asked him impatiently.

"I can't do that, either," Aang responded shamefully

"Why not?" Sokka pleaded

"it would just be really... uncomfortable," Aang admitted

"Uncomfortable? Well, I wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable!" Sokka sarcastically remarked, and I snickered at his comment as I watched the conversation play out.