Part 18

𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐢 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡, 𝐒𝐲𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐲, 𝐀𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐚
𝐒𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑:

As summer began winding down from its peak, the changes were obvious.

Days at Bondi weren't as busy, the only people to show were the locals who braved the surf. The days began to get shorter and an offshore breeze brought a chill into the air which scared off anyone else. There was also a new and unfamiliar chill in the water that you had to be prepared for before you entered it.

Another big change was the storms out at sea that brought the swell up.

The waves crashing onto the shoreline of Bondi were huge, the water was pretty much a blanket of white from the small gaps in between waves and some of them practically broke on top of each other.

Whilst the summer crowds had been drawn away by the cold front peaking out from behind the sun, the huge swell was a surfers paradise - but not for the faint hearted.

Which made it perfectly fit for ten Bra Boy's - including Heidi Scott and Jesse Polock - alongside current lifeguards -  who were either off duty for the day or on break - and former lifeguards.

The big group meeting was all a complete coincidence. Heidi and Jesse had planned to go and surf the big waves at Bondi and had ended up eight of their closest friends and fellow Bra Boys joining them. When they'd got there, Azza and Kobe Graham had appeared with the same idea and Jake, Whippet and Chappo who were all on break, were planning to use the big waves as training time.

"LETS FUCKING GO!" Heidi screams.

"I'M SO GONNA GET A BIGGER WAVE THAN YOU!" Azza shouts back.

"YOU ARE NOT!" She calls back.

Even with the former lifeguards who were now fully grown adults, Heidi managed to bring out the kid in them. The rest of the group watched as the two took off down the sand with their boards in hand, Kobe joined in chasing after his brother and eventually, so did Jake, Whippet, Chappo, Jesse and the other eight Bra Boys who felt slightly out of the loop.

Heidi hit the water first, follwed by Azza, then Kobe and Jesse.

Four Bra Boys jumped in before Jake, Whippet and Chappo, the other four followed them.

Heidi broke over the top of a wave, adrenaline pumping at the size of the waves looming ahead. It had been a decent while since she'd surfed big waves and whilst these weren't the biggest she'd ever surfed on, they were still a pretty good size.

A stream of surfboards and rescue boards cracked over the crest of waves, the bodies on top of them holding on tightly as though not to lose the boards.

Eventually coming to a stop with a small lull in the waves, the boards all managed to form a circle - with a little bit of chaos that left multiple Bra Boys, lifeguards and former lifeguards all climbing back onto their boards after being shoved off.

"ONE RULE!" Jesse shouts out. "WHOEVER IS ON THE WAVE HAS RIGHT OF WAY!"

"TWO RULES!" Heidi corrects. "THE SECOND BEING IF SOMEONE IS HURT, WE ALL HELP!"

Nodding in agreement, they all spilt up.

As a set loomed, Heidi watched it crawl closer over her shoulder. She paddled for it and managed to snag onto it as it reached her. Jumping up once she knew she could, she looked around her to see that many of the others had managed to grab on as well. Whilst it was a way of having fun, because there were so many of them in the water it also meant that everyone had to be extremely careful of where they were going - especially with three on-duty lifeguards riding half ton rescue boards.