Part 11

𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐢 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡, 𝐒𝐲𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐲, 𝐀𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐚
𝐒𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑:

The lifeguard challenge was something that had been going for decades. If you won, you had bragging rights for the rest of the year.

As all of the lifeguards trained for the gruelling test, Heidi made sure to get her fair share of bullying in towards Chappo for how long it had been since he'd won and mocking Reidy for never winning.

And as a former champion of the race herself, she was perfectly in the right to do so as well.

"We're putting our best watermen," Harries hoists Heidi's hand into the air. "No offence boys, against a bunch of shit lifeguards basically."

Whippet and Chappo pretended to jump the man whilst Heidi laughed.

"I'm gonna beat your ass this year." Reidy says to Heidi, pretending to throw punches her way.

"I'm used to that." Heidi smirks back, throwing her own fake punches. "Get ready old man."

"Old man!?" Reidy gasps. "Harries is older than me!"

"Yet he still looks younger!" Heidi smirks.

"Forever my hype women, Scotty!" Harries cheers.

"You know it, brother." Heidi high fives him.

"It physically scares me how much you talk like Jesse. Please stop." Chappo mutters.

"He's just salty that his plan of making you his protegee didn't work." Jake smirks.

"That's because you decided to swoop in and steal her whatever chance you got!" Chappo laughs.

"Awh, don't worry Chips." Heidi smirks. "I still love you but there's no friends in the lifeguard challenge."

"Except me!" Deano calls out.

"Except Deano! Deano is my only friend in this!"

"You two planning to cling onto each other as usual then?" Whippet asks.

"You know it." Deano smirks, high fiving Heidi.

As pack down on the beach finished and the rest of the lifeguards showed up for the infamous challenge post-shift, Jake had lifted Heidi onto his back as bets were made by the public on who would win.

"Me and Scotty are gonna do it together!" Jake calls out. "So if your betting for her your also betting for me!"

"He's lying!" Heidi shouts.

Jumping down from his back, Jake rested his elbow on Heidi's shoulder much to her distaste.

Crowds gathered along the promenade and the sand, cheering for their chosen lifeguard. Some even holding up banners and little kids being some of the loudest to shout.

"Race favourite, Heidi Scott ladies and gentleman!" Hoppo cheers. "She's ready and raring."

"Someone called Jesse Polock has placed a lot of bets on this one!" Harries calls out.

Heidi put her head in her hands as the crowd screamed loudly. Her fellow lifeguards found this extremely funny and even went about locating their former colleague in the crowd.

"Come join us, Jess!" Maxi shouts. "Since you never won, nows your chance!"

"I'm good thanks!" Jesse calls back. "If Goldie wins then so I do!"

"Sibling love, look at these two!" Harries shouts.

"Shut it!" Heidi says through her laughter, swatting him on the arm.