7

"And she was like look at my Gucci bag, it's worth dollar eight hundred only!"

I had been listening to Selena's stories and her experiences for the past three hours and even then she was not done. She spoke about a human girl whose father was a rich businessman and got her whatever she desired. Selena envied her, considering they were classmates before the apocalypse began.

"How I dislike Ruby! Well, hope she's meal of an undead. Doesn't deserve anything better."

I nodded, trying to stiffle a yawn. Although at the start I was very much invested in the conversation, but three long hours had drained me. I needed to sleep!

"And this one day-"

Someone coughed as we turned to the entrance to see Axel standing with his arms crossed over his chest. He looked at me and then towards Selena.

"Selena, he needs to rest. Look at his eyes, they're redder than a vampire in rage. Let him take some rest."

"Here comes the spoiler," Selena grumbled. "Well, do as you may. I'll sleep and so shall you Nico."

I smiled back at her and turned towards Axel, wording thank you with my lips. He smiled and went off towards his room.

Soon I had fallen asleep, dreaming peacefully about something random. I have no clue what made it, but somewhere around five in the morning, I jolted awake, not feeling sleepy anymore.

I tried going back to sleep, but my efforts were for nothing. Giving up, I got up from the bed and opened the bedroom door after checking on Selena if she was asleep.

Exiting the room, I quietly shut the door and made my way to the open balcony at the end of the corridor.

Two chairs stood in the spacious balcony. I occupied the one on the right and made myself comfortable with the morning breeze.

The atmosphere was cool and calm. It was magical and entrancing. I heard my breath every time I took it. Although everything was dark with the forest hardly visible, but the cool atmosphere calmed me further.

My eyes closed on their own while I kept in taking the aromatic scent of the forest. It was so pacifying and energising that I wished to stay in this position forever.

In my trance, I did not notice someone approach the balcony and take a seat on the chair to my left. It was when I felt someone trace their finger against my left cheek, I opened my eyes.

Axel was gently tracing his thumb against my left cheek, his other fingers and palm holding my face by the jawline. I tilted my head towards him, confused at his movement at which he immediately recoiled and moved his fingers off my face.

"I-I...," he stammered.

I smiled. "It's alright," I said calmly. "I don't mind."

He eyed me carefully and then cleared his throat, "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask the same," I replied, shutting my eyes back. "But to answer you, I simply jolted awake and couldn't feel sleepy. Now, I feel much better here."

"I'm sorry, I thought you were asleep," Axel apologized.

I smirked. I couldn't imagine what else could he have done if I was really sleeping.

"I usually weake up at this time," Axel explained, "saw you here and assumed you were awake. But when I came over, I thought you were asleep and..."

I turned to face him. "You need not explain. I understand."

He smiled, making me blush. Thankfully, the darkness consumed it.

"So tell me more about yourself," I asked. "Your family and the work you do."

"Other than Selena, there's no one else whom I can call as my family. And about my job, well, I'm a robotics engineer."

"Wow, that's something cool," I commented.

"Yes it is," he nodded. "But because of this apocalyptic thing, I haven't been able to work for the past few days. Came to Selena who was living here all by herself by taking a drop year and on the way had the accident with you."

I smiled. "Well, that's something. What about others? Don't you have parents?"

He huffed. "No, they're no more."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I apologized for asking.

"It's okay, been more than a century for that incident."

"Century?" I asked, horrified.

Axel nodded. "Yes, more than a century."

"Do you mind narrating it to me?"

He shook his head. "It happened due to fire. We were all fast asleep when the house caught fire out of nowhere. By the time we realised, it was already too late. Back then, Selena was (age) and I (age). In the attempt to save us, our parents..." He couldn't say any further.

"I'm sorry," I caught his shoulder. "I understand what it feels to lose your parent."

He nodded and continued. "The two of us were in severe condition as well. We were taken to the hospital and technically died. All thanks to the doctor who was treating us, he changed us into vampires and here we are, living an immortal life."

That was interesting. I had no idea that they had been through so much already. Which made me realise their sympathetic and kind nature, which was different from the others of their kind.

"Can I ask you something more?" I asked reluctantly.

"Sure," he smiled.

"Once I get better and well enough to look after myself, will you leave us without any trouble or...will you hunt us down?"

Axe's eyebrows creased. A sudden darkness fell over his eyes as he growled, "After everything I've done for you, you still suspect me to cause you harm?"

"No-no, I didn't mean-"

"Save it," he spoke gravely. Getting up, he walked off, banging his bedroom door upong entering, leaving me rattled.

Why was he so offended? What was wrong with Axel? I had raised the obvious question and that seemed to enrage him? I could not get my brain to understand these complex beings.

Sighing, I shut my eyes again and with no one to bother, lay there peacefully without letting any thoughts cloud my mind. Slowly, I drifted off to sleep, the cool air giving me the best comfort imaginable.

It was when I felt the heat of the sun on my face did I wake up, squinting my eyes from its rays. Although the weather was calm and cold, but the sun's rays had heated up my face.

Getting up, I walked away from the balcony and entered back into Selena's room. Not finding her in the bedroom, I assumed she must be downstairs.

Her mobile was kept at a desk which I decided to approach to check on time. Obviously the device was password protected but the time displayed nearly ten at the lock screen. Indeed I had slept for long.

Moving towards the bathroom, I entered inside and brushed my teeth. The previous night, Selena had provided me with a spare brush and towel for my personal use which I put to use for brushing and bathing. Once I had bathed in the hot tub and changed into new clothes given by Axel that were certainly lose for me, I exited the room and made my way downstairs cautiously.

Of course I still had some weakness and pain, but otherwise I thought I could move about myself. Big mistake. Had I remembered my luck with tripping, I would have never risked it.

As I took a few steps down, I saw Axel walking out of the kitchen. The distraction was enough to make me trip, and I fell face down.