3

The sudden noise broke us apart as we stared at one another in dread and confusion. What was it that had barged its way into the house? Was it a werewolf? A vampire? Or an ugly, worthless undead?

"Who could it be?" I wondered.

"I dunno," Liam shook his head. "Let's check it out."

"No!" I almost yelled. "What if it attacks?"

"Then what should we do?"

"Let's leave the house." I concluded.

"That would be suicidal," Liam sighed. "We'll be more vulnerable out there."

"But-" A sudden ringing from my phone startled the two of us. Glancing at the screen, I identified the caller to be dad.

Instinctively, I silenced the call but it was already too late. Within the matter of seconds, a hairy beast, chest puffing with mouth wide open stood at the doorway, growling steadily.

I was glued on my spot. I felt defeated, ready to submit to the horror in front of my eyes. I'm certain it would have been my demise if it were not for Liam.

The werewolf lunged at me while all I could do was to raise my arms at my face, shivering altogether. Liam quickly grabbed a miniature Statue of Liberty made of bronze that I had received at a certain birthday for goodness knows why which had been standing lazily at a sideboard cabinet and slammed it at the werewolf's canine baring face.

I was shocked at how hard Liam had hit the beast. The impact caused a gush of blood streaming out of its face and forehead as it fell on top of my bed. Within moments, its body went still.

"D-did you kill him?" I asked, horrified.

"I dunno!" Liam answered throwing away the statue made weapon. "But I'm not waiting around to find it out. Let's leave."

Without a second thought, the two of us left the bedroom and exited the house. Little did I know that this was probably the last time I would have lived in that place. Or was it?

We sprinted off together, moving ahead at the same pace in the direction that led us out of the town. Maybe if we reached a city, we could figure out a way for our safety?

"It's nothing but twenty-five miles of forest ahead," Liam said huffing when we came to a stop at the town's border after avoiding several undead and making our way out which cost us almost an hour. "There could be more dangers out there."

"So what now?" I asked in confusion.

"Do you wanna risk it?" he asked, stepping closer. "Now that I've no one else left, all I have is you Nico." He took my palm in his. "I can't lose you either."

"You won't," I answered giving him a reassuring hug. He held on to me longer than I had anticipated. "You'll never lose me."

A sudden shriek interrupted our moment as we turned to see a woman being chased by an undead. Before we could have reacted, she had been pinned down, her guts spilling out.

"Let's go!" Liam pulled me away from the sickening scene, out of the town and into the mystery of the forest.

Upon running for a while, I gave up in exhaustion, huffing and puffing. Liam placed his arm at my slender back when I was bent on my knees, out of breath.

"It won't work this way," I sighed, straightening. "We can't be running for twenty-five miles straight!"

"I can," Liam smirked annoyingly.

I glared at him irritatingly. "You go to gym everyday and  you're a fucking athlete to say out loud! But that's not me!"

He rolled his eyes. "Fine. I get it twink," he winked.

I was fuming. I prepared on giving a sly comment but he walked away, laughing to himself.

"What? Now you've decided not to talk to me?" Liam asked nudging my shoulder after five minutes of awkward silence.

"As if you care," I complained.

"Then who would?" he asked wrapping his arms around my chest as he pulled me towards him.

I rolled my eyes as he chuckled. Little did he know how badly I liked him. Unfortunately, I could never gather guts to confess my feelings to him with the fear of losing a caring friend.

"What are you thinking?" he asked shaking my head while we continued walking.

"I'm sorry for your loss," I changed the subject, "I can't begin to imagine how hard it must've been for you to witness it."

Liam's grip tightened around my chest as tears sparkled in his eyes. No, this is not what I wanted! I did not want to bring up a sad memory!

"It's so weird right?" I tried switching once more, "about how clueless I was! Relaxing and ready to enjoy my weekend with a lot of meticulous preparations and look at how it has all changed!"

"What preparations?" Liam asked. And then I went on explaining how painstakingly I had planned everything till mom was to return by Monday.

We continued chatting, walking down the road. Thrice it came across intersections. We were not very certain of which one led to the city, but we went on anyway.

Occasionally, we stopped since my legs were hurting by walking continuously for the entirety of the day. With no food and no water, I have no clue how we survived the journey, especially when we walked on foot.

By the time it got dark, my situation was worse than ever. Liam had been trying his best in keeping me 'alive', but I very well knew that he was drained as well.

The atmosphere, with the onset of the night had turned spooky. I shivered, all thanks to cold, lack of food and water and of course, presence of fear of the unknown.

"Where should we stay for the night?" I asked out of concern. Liam wondered the same.

Neither of us knew the answer. All I knew that if I was to stay out in the forest at the night, I would not be alive for the next day. But thanks to our luck, within half an hour of our walk we came across an unpaved road that branched out through the one we walked on, which led to a Victorian kind bungalow. Left with no choice, we went for the obvious.

The place resembled that of a haunted house in the darkness of the night as it appeared larger and larger with every step we took. Soon, we stood at its metallic gate after which I began having second thoughts.

"I don't think this is the best place to spend the night," I muttered.

"Do we have a choice?" Liam asked.

"Can't we look for any other place to stay?" I pleaded.

Liam rolled his eyes, sighning. "It was sheer luck that we happened to come across this place at the right time. Our luck may not be so bright again. Besides, look at yourself Nico, you can barely stand at your feet now. Any moment you're gonna collapse."

I sighed, unable to disagree with his logic. Whatsoever, this place had me creeping out. Liam opened the creaking gates as the two of us entered together.

The front door opened smoothly and we entered the living room of the house. It was not a wonder for us to see it in a pristine condition. Probably the owners had left at the onset of the apocalypse.

The sofas were neat and tidy, windows had been uncurtained, making the living room appear like any other with a modern touch to it.

There were visibly no photo frames hung to portray the house's previous residents. Did that concern us? Not the least. It should have.

"Let's split up and check out the place in case of any threats," Liam suggested.

I gulped. Wasn't this the manner in which all the horror movies began?

Left with no choice since Liam had left to check out the first floor's kitchen, I decided to check upstairs. To my relief, the stairs did not creek with every step I took as thankfully they were not made out of wood, typical of a horror movie. Wait. Why was I comparing my real life with horror movies?

Shaking that thought away, I continued my way up and once at the top, found myself at the end of a short hallway.